Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by timothyo, Dec 28, 2003.

1. timothyo

timothyo

Dec 28, 2003
    I was just wondering if any of you had ever tried using a Talk Box with your setup. I just ordered one and I am a bit curious to see what I am in for.

2. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    i heard its inadvisable to use one with a standard guitar if you have fillings as it tends to shake them out. so heaven forbid what bass would do to you're teeth!

3. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    any sound samples of a talk box with a bass? i've only heard it done with guitar before.

4. timothyo

timothyo

Dec 28, 2003
    Well, I got the talk box the other day. It is rather interesting and a whole lot harder to play than I ever thought it would be. I guess I just need to spend some more time with it. As for sound clips of a bass player with a talk box, the closest thing I can come up with off the top of my head is Robert Trujillo. I do not think he is using a Talk Box, but he has his rig set up to almost sound like it on the Infectious Grooves cover of David Bowie's Fame. I let you know how the Talk Box goes, it is pretty cool, it is just going to take some time to learn how to use it and how to get used to having something like that in my mouth ( I have a whole new respect for women).

5. I know that Stanley Clarke used one on 'I wanna PLay for You' and some other recordings. Larry Graham used one several times but I am not gonna pull out my GCS cuz I'll get hooked again. George Duke and Byron Miller both used one on 'Dukey Stick'. Have fun and don't drool down the tube.