1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk Talk's PAUL WEBB!Check him!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Sep 26, 2002.

1. BBC 6Music played a Talk talk BBC session of "again, a game, again"-

what a song! I'm surprised it was just a B-side.

2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    A couple of my favorite pop bands from the 80's in this thread, China Crisis and Talk Talk. I loved Talk Talk's 'Laughing Stock' and ' The Colour Of Spring' is one of my favorite albums from the late 80's. Paul Webb is not even on Laughing. China Crisis recorded some of their excellent 'Flaunt the Imperfection' album out here[Hawaii] with Walter Becker producing. I must have missed this thread first time around......

3. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I know this is a old thread but,.....both of AWB's excellent drummers Robbie McIntosh and Steve Ferrone came from Brian Auger. One of these days I'll do a thread about Oblivion Express bassist Barry Dean and the great Clive Chaman. Excellent grooves and rhythm sections on those early albums.

4. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Wow, I'm so glad this thread popped up. There are so many amazing bassist, not to mention other players that came out of the 80's pop scene.

Talk Talk, the Fixx, the Cure, Duran Duran, Japan, the Thompson Twins, Sade, etc...Am I dating myself here?

These are incredibly influential bands, even to players who don't recognize it. As for creative, musical grooving lines, some of the best I know came from that era.

5. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I forgot......for more sparse-cool Paul Webb, check out O-Rang.:cool:

6. = The Average White Band. I've actually come across one of their tracks in the meantime, "Put It Where You Want It", when watching the "Old Grey Whistle Test Vol.2" DVD - Not a bad song! And Hamish Stuart's gigantic ginger 'fro back then is a crack-up :D

I've been listening to TT's "Colour Of Spring" heaps lately, maybe because it's Spring here in NZ right now?! "Give It Up" is such an awesome song! It sounds simple (like someone said at the beginning of this thread), but there's actually so many little things happening in there! And I still wonder whether the tambourine is real! By the way, there's a live version on youtube, along with some other TT videos!

7. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    Had to revive this a little......Listen to the TONE of Dum Dum Girl....that is nice Kramer aluminum fretless at its finest!!!!

8. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Live clip of "Give It Up" on the Tube of You

And David Rhodes on guitar... ohhhhh.

9. in the Hard Rock Café, Amsterdam;
    [​IMG]

10. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Could you send me that picture?

11. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I just got a line on one of these basses....I am all over it..

12. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I saw Talk Talk a couple of times in the mid 80's and I think I can remember him playing a Musicman Stingray fretted and a Fender Jazz fretless. I listened to the greatest hits again yesterday and songs like "Dum Dum Girl" and "Have You Heard The News" have great fretless bass lines.

Can anyone remember if he did play a Fender Jazz fretless or did I imagine that?

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I bought Elbow's latest album "Seldom seen Kind" and it is very much like late period Talk Talk!

It is like they have developed from where Talk Talk left off - I would recommend it to anyone who likes late Talk Talk!

14. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    +1.
    Never taken much notice of Elbow before now but the latest album is very good.

15. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Interesting. Elbow has a kind of slick prog vibe...Since Mark Hollis was going minimalist, I think it would be a stretch to say that Talk Talk would have gone here :)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

This new album is very different - there are some very minimalist tracks - with just vocal and a sort of distant guitar noise and a big use of dynamics - very quiet and then very loud!

17. Bruce Lindfield

I see that Elbow won the Mercury Music prize for best abum of the year - nice to see - and that I was talking them up several months before...;)

18. I was looking at the list of judges for the Mercury music prize this year-

Simon Frith - Chair, music author
    Jude Rogers - The Guardian, New Statesman
    Janice Long - Broadcaster, Radio 2
    Mark Findlay - Head of Music, Global/Capital
    Conor McNicholas - Editor, NME
    George Ergatoudis - Head of Music, Radio 1
    Arwa Haider - Music Editor Metro newspaper; Word
    Mike Flynn - Jazz Editor, Time Out
    Charles Hazlewood - Conductor
    Kitty Empire - Chief Music Critic, The Observer
    Dean Jackson - Broadcaster, BBC Midlands

would that Mike Flynn happen to be the poster of that name on Talkbass and Basschat?

19. Bruce Lindfield

I've met Mike several times - he even depped for me in a band! ;)

I know he does the listings for JazzWise magazine and writes reviews for them - so it sounds very likely it is him!