1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk to me about an SLB 100 please!

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by drumsnbass, Jan 29, 2020.

1. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    I might be able to get ahold of one for under $1600.

First off I don’t play UB, but would like to give it a try. Beyond that, living in hot, dry AZ this sounds like a good ‘starter’ upright for me.

Can anyone tell me if I’m better looking for a 200 (non-LTD) over this? Portability is not an issue.

thanks!

2. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    Can only compare from advertisements, never had one myself. Should be a good instrument with the closest feel to real double bass possible. With that price, I don't think you can do anything wrong. Should be better then the SLB200, since it is more expensive new.

drumsnbass likes this.
  3. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    With a little looking you can probably find a plywood bass for that price.

How far away is Chandler, AZ? https://www.stringemporium.com/thompson-upright-plywood-basses.htm

Fretless55 and drumsnbass like this.
  4. mooseonbass

mooseonbass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    I love my SLB 100, it feels just like my two "real" basses and with the right amp and preamp, it sounds pretty good. I've played the 200 and liked it but haven't lived with one for years like I have the 100. I like having it for really bad weather, to take on vacation when the car is full, and for really cramped stages. $1600 is not a bad price but it is still a long, heavy chunk of wood so you may as well consider an upright. You could find something that would hold up in your climate.

drumsnbass likes this.
  5. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Fretless55 likes this.
  6. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    You might call first. I looked up their address on Google Maps and it doesn't look like a store front.
    Disclaimer: I've never dealt with String Emporium before. I'm wondering now if it might just be a web site/mail order operation.

Nevertheless, they do have a YouTube demo of the entry level Thompson laminated.

drumsnbass, Fretless55 and Chris204T like this.
  7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Personally I use a an EUB like the Yamaha because of it's portability and ability to use it in tight spaces. I think this is why many players choose to go that route. Many that have an EUB also have carved basses and plywood basses.

Dabndug and drumsnbass like this.
  8. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Well looked like the 100 is going to be my bass in the end. I think ~$1650 shipped is a pretty good price. It has ONE scratch on it and it’s small, and it comes with the complete half body as well (but no stand).

Dabndug likes this.
  9. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I bought an SLB200 on ebay for $800. It had some issues like no body frame so I had to make a body rest, a nut that needed adjustment, a new endpin I made from a 1/2" round metal bar and new strings. But that said, I really like the SLB200: the neck feels like an upright, the body is chambered and is loud enough to play it with no amplification for practice, especially arco. Its my bass I take out to the beach on weekends or when I don't want to schlep a full upright.

$1600 sounds like a great price for an SLB100 if it doesn't have issues.

If portability is not an issue as you mention, I don't recommend one of these as a starter if you are really serious about learning how to play upright. As mentioned above, for $1600 you can find a nice laminate bass, which will do fine in your climate and relatively easy to find in Arizona. There is a nice looking blond 50s Kay on Phoenix craigslist, looks like an M1, and String Emporium is in AZ and they carry several model laminate uprights in your range and you should be able to go try some out there.

I recommend a true upright because electric upright basses simply do not behave or sound like an upright bass, and once you actually get an upright you will need to learn how to play that compared to an EUB. Getting a teacher to work with is very helpful too. I've played electric bass since the 70s, but that work has no bearing on learning how to play an upright when I started to transition 2-3 yrs ago. Yes an upright is strung EADG and you read bass clef like an electric bass but that is about where the similarities end...best wishses...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Carl Hillman and drumsnbass like this.
  10. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    07C0382A-76D1-4D18-91BB-2CFDA56DA99F.jpeg Well I guess one should never say never, but my best guess is if I get the 100 it’ll be my only upright bass. It’s small enough to pack away if needed, and my office/practice area is in the Living Room so it won’t seem so huge in there. At least it sort of has a body to it.

11. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Tomorrow my 100 will ship to me!

man what an effort to get this thing. The final box size was 74x24x24. Since I wanted it from a private party half the country away I did most of the ‘leg-work’ to make it happen.

First off finding a box for it was quite the challenge. In the end I located a box store that had 48x24x24 boxes so two became one. Paid for those and plenty of bubble wrap. Sellers wife found some corner stiffeners.

Then the shipping part. UPS wouldn’t take it, nor USPS. Ended up with two choices, FedEx freight or uShip. As uShip can take days to get back with a quote and the seller was doing all he could to help me, I just bit it on FedEx — @$378!!! Seriously. You can get an airplane seat for less! And FedEx said I was getting a ‘generous’ 60% discount.

Seller has to drop it at a FedEx freight terminal (luckily near his work) and I have to pick it up at a terminal. You’d think for that price it could get dropped at my door.

When all is said and done it’ll be around $1800. A bit more than I expected but it’s a long slab of wood.

Sharing all this for any future buyers or shippers of this bass.

a few final comments. Working with FedEx is very convoluted. When I did a website quote their best price to me was....$2400! ***?

When I called in I had to get a quote number. The seller has to drop the bass off, get a “pro” number, then I have to call in again with that number to pay for the shipping. What a bunch of hoops to jump through.

Had I used uShip I might have saved up to $150 but I’d have waited up to 5 days for a quote, plus probably 15 days to get it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020