1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk to me about new PA speakers...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BurningSkies, Mar 30, 2015.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Hey everyone, I'm currently casting about in consideration of some new 'FOH' speakers for our live setup. Let me explain what we've been using and what we tend to do with it. I'm hoping to do two things...keep the same FOH volume while 'compacting' the cabs a bit.

We currently have a pair of JBL MRX 15's that usually go on stands. We put:
    -vocals (x3)
    -Snare + a little kick for support
    -hand drums
    -sometimes a bit of guitar and keys

We occasionally have a powered sub that comes out for bigger rooms. No bass in the FOH (my fEARful rig is fine or even preferred to bass in the FOH PA). I use a compact 16/20 channel board and run monitors out to a separate amp. The FOH is powered off of one half of my IPR3000.

---------
    What I'd love is a pair of MORE compact speakers for front end. Is anyone making a set of 12's or maybe 2x10's or something like that? Is it worth looking at powered v. unpowered? Would something like the QSC K12 be a good fit?

Some of the rooms we play are similar to this:
    [​IMG]

Some are bigger (although this room is long). My goal is to keep our current SPL out front but make it a bit easier to fit. Also, I'd like to get 'out from under' depending upon the band member who owns the JBL's in terms of depending on him to provide.

We're not playing coffee house volumes as you might guess from knowing my own setup. I'm probably looking at something in the 800$ per speaker range.

2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Yeah - I'd say K12s (or similar - EV ELX112P, etc) and use the sub all of the time.

BurningSkies likes this.
  3. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Do you think the sub is necessary for much beyond the kick? I tend to roll off all the deep lows from all the vocals which from all reports sounds fantastic out front. On the nights that we've been using the powered JBL sub with the 515's, we really only put kick in it. I'm mostly concerned with keeping the vocals loud and clean, but also if we use some guitar in the front end for support, etc. We're a reggae band, so no heavy guitars no thick stuff down low besides me and the kick.

4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    No - it's for the kick. I personally think kick drum sounds lame without SOME kind of sub.

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Session1969 and BurningSkies like this.
  6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Thank you. I really haven't looked at PA gear in a long long time... These do look to be similar to the QSC K12's, and I've always thought that Yamaha made great stuff for the what they charge.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Any votes for the JBL PRX612?

8. Check out BFM DR200. The sound quality from those is unreal.

mbelue and BurningSkies like this.
  9. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I use to own the JBLPRX512m which was the model before the 612. Great speaker but not a lot of low end. The 612 does go lower. I would imagine you would be buying these used since they are no longer in production.

BurningSkies likes this.
  10. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    A friend of mine (whose opinion I value about pa) just got the PRX712 and says they sound great.

My band also uses the MRX515's powered by a QSC GX7 (one per side) with a QSC KW181 powered sub and a Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2 mixer.

While I love the weight of the 515's we have two female singers and the upper mids can get kind of harsh at louder volumes. I've used an RTA and been able to tame much of the harshness but I'm really curious to about the K12 or KW122's. Would love to nix my crossover and power amp.

BurningSkies likes this.
  11. Dominick C.

Dominick C.

Jul 2, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    I don't like mean people or mean comments....
    Just build yourself 4 more fearful cabs. Use those ;)

BurningSkies and Brother Goose like this.
  12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I use the 512's for my "loud" setup, but we're not a "rock" band. They're great. I'm guessing the extra headroom of the 612's would be a plus.

I know guys that use the QSC's and they are just as good (or better than the JBL's)--- either way--- stick with 12's and only mic the kick in rooms where you bring your sub(s). No bass in FOH unless the room is big.

Any good quality powered 12 will do a good job--- don't go cheap.

BurningSkies likes this.
  13. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Why don't you build a pair of 12/6/1's? They could come in handy for a myriad of purposes!

Papa and I use those nifty molded plastic Peavey speakers- lightweight and fairly indestructible...

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    A couple reasons for not doing 12/6/1's. I really think that they're voiced more appropriately for bass or keys use rather than PA. Also, I'm not up for the project right now. Lots going on, the least of which is I currently live in a place where building them properly would be near impossible. That may change a year or so down the line though...

Brother Goose likes this.
  15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    While the JBL's are getting a lot of love here, I'm still sort of leaning towards the QSC's...the feature set looks really nice to me...while everything is still on the table, lets take a moment to discuss the K10 v. K12. My initial thought is that the 10's are going to be under-sized-under-SPL even for the better dispersion. True or myth?

john m likes this.
  16. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Lots of option out there.
    Personally, I think the latest EV 12's sound better than the K12s. In fact, I think I am about to purchase a pair for myself. It has been an intense debate for me as I also really like the Yorkville Sound PS12P as well as the RCF HD32a and HD12A. Haven't fully decided one against the other but will make up my mind soon. I chose these 3 out of all available product, although I don't think one could go wrong with the latest JBL.
    If going without a sub it would be the PS12P's hands down - bass response is unreal for a 12. But with a sub, the other 2 (EV or RCF) would sound killer.
    If this is something I could help you with please let me know and I can get you a quote.

But definitely, IMO powered speakers are the only way to go. All the processing is built in.

Electro-Voice ETX-12P 12" Two-Way Powered Loudspeaker
    Yorkville PS12P

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  17. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    IMO for the type of music you are describing the 12's would be much more applicable.

BurningSkies likes this.
  18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Except that the EV's are also 1200$, which is more than I can foot for them. It's 50% more than either the QSC or the JBL. $1600 is way easier for me to foot than 2400$ Of course, if the finances change...

The only thing I worry about going all powered FOH is that we occasionally do gigs that are 'power distro challenged' in which case it's way easier for me to just run speaker cords than it is to run XLRs and power to each side of the stage.

19. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Hopefully we can have a 315 fEARFUL support group by then! Stay Low!

BurningSkies likes this.
  20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    You still need to come by sometime and pound on them. I know of at least one other guy in town who either has a 12/6 or is building one. You were next door last Thursday and I didn't get a chance to drop by... I was hoping to catch some of your set at the Funk.