1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TalkBass is consistently freezing my browser

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by paulraphael, Apr 16, 2006.

1. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    I'm using Safari 2.0.3 in OSX 10.4.6.

I can use the forum fine, but typically after a few minutes of browsing here, a message will partially load and then the browser will freeze, with the spinning beachball of death. I've never had this issue with another site or forum.

I'm using a utility called pith helmet, which blocks certain ads and animations and java content, to speed things up. Not sure if this could have anything to do with it.

Thoughts?

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    You could try to disable stuff like Java and Javascript, and see if the problem persists.

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I am using the same setup and never have any problems.

4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Sorry, I can't be of much help since I don't have that setup and haven't had any other reports. I'd try disabling this "pith helmet" and seeing if it helps...

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I use Mac OSX 10.3.9 and Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6).

It has not happened recently, but a while ago (perhaps a month or more) Safari would occationally "hang" for a while, perhaps 10-20 seconds, while loading a TalkBass page. I traced the problem to these little buggers:
    http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js
    http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js
    The problem went away when I disabled Java and Javascript.
    I don't know much about these things, but I suspect that the Java impelemtation in Safari is the real source of the problem. The browser really struggles when I surf Warmoth.com with Java and Javascript enabled.

Hope that helps...

6. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    thanks ... i used pith helmet to disable java for this site. will see how it goes.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have been having a lot of trouble getting pages to load on this site for a while. The majority of the time I log off because I can't view the pages I want to view. I'll try disabling javascript.

8. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    What other programs are you running? Try just running Safari.
    If you quit and restart Safari, does the browser speed up?
    If you reboot your Mac, does the browser speed up?

9. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I don;t have Safari, which I'm assuming is an operatiing system. I'm using Windows 2000

10. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I was addressing paulrafael who stated he had Mac OSX using the Safari browser.

Keith,

What other programs (Windows 2000) are running when using your browser?
    Is your browser (I assume Explorer) only slow with talkbass? Compare the speed using eBay or Google.
    Does it only get slow after using it for a time?

11. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Make sure you have the latest Java pack. If you have the latest version of Safari (or IE) but an older version of Java, there could be trouble.
    There's also the issue of Safari's page displaying speed. By default, Safari waits a certain amount of time before it displays the content. You can disable this with Onyx or SafariSpeed, available from macupdate.com or versiontracker.

12. zoloo

zoloo

Jun 7, 2005
    France
    Just use Firefox, it rocks !

13. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

The only other program I have running is usually just a card game and maybe the word processor, to keep me occupied while I wait for the page to load. This is the only site that I have this problem on. Some other sites take a little longer to load but they do load. TB often does not load when I click on the "Forums" link or the "Bass Forums" link, it just times out.

14. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    What type of connection are you using? (Modem/DSL/Cable)
    What speed do you get when you run the spead test (download-JavaScript) at the top of this web page?
    http://www.bandwidth.com/

15. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Good suggestion.