1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tape Over Logos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:21 AM.

Tags:
  1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    What do you think of pros putting electrical tape over the logos in their instruments? To me it reads as “They’re not paying me so I’m not giving them any exposure.” And the corolary on their same gear where you can read the logo, “You can read this logo only because they’re paying me.” So, it doesn’t have much impact to me. Personally, I’ve had opportunities to do a few endorsements but always passed. I’ve received a few discounts in the past (minor) but I play what I play because I like it. IT allows me to afford the gear I want and I don’t feel like I have an obligation to play anything other than what’s best for the gig.

#AlienAudio #Mesa #Ampeg #Fender

2. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I think this happens for a few reasons:
    The player is an endorsed artist but has to use something else, like in a backline situation.
    The gear is a POS but that was all that was handy, and the player doesn't want to be seen using it.
    It is knock off gear.

3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    I think it's fine, would never have a problem with anyone doing it and can understand why some people would choose to. We live in a brand-obsessed culture and it's getting tiresome seeing logos on headstocks, pickups, bridges and other hardware parts. If a pro is getting paid to show a logo, maybe it makes sense to cover the others to encourage a little extra payment. Since music and musicians are getting ripped of from every angle, every penny counts so why not, if you think it might get you a little extra?

4. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    It usually only happens on television, and movies. Companies pay big money for product placement. When an actor on a sitcom uses KLEENEX, somebody paid for that brand to be there. When a product is shown that no fee has been paid, they cover over the brand name, or make a fake mock up of a product name that does not exist.

5. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I always assumed there was a specific provision in their endorsement agreement that they could use other equipment if they choose but would need to cover the brand markings.

Duder and bassbully like this.
  6. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' SUSPENDED

I think most manufacturers would be wise to have naked headstocks and require an audition before a buyer is allowed to have the name emblazoned on said headstock. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:01 AM
  7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    To me it smacks of pettiness on somebody’s part. It also draws sufficient attention that it subverts whatever intent it had in the first place.

DWBass, Linnin, andruca and 15 others like this.
  8. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    You have a point.

GTx2 and Ant Illington like this.
  9. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I guess I'll buy your bands T-shirt, but then you have to pay me to wear it out.

tleeitsme, SteveBass5, equill and 3 others like this.
  10. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I've seen this on amps, but never instruments.

11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    los angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
  12. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I’ve seen it on everything. Keyboards seem to be popular to tape over.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Ah, so that's the real reason my cab builder friend doesn't put a logo on his cabs. He's even smarter than I thought... Yel_wink.

14. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Correct. And you won't see shirts or shoes with visible logos either. The gear of mine that has tape is leftover from TV appearances. I often forget to remove it, and when I recently did remove it from a $5k bass it took most of the logo with it.

Keyboard logos are especially ugly onstage. That big white "WHATEVER" brand, a mess of visible input jacks and wires hanging down plus the keyboard stand are visually messy and f'ugly. Bands would do well to black out the logo and drape a blanket or something down to cover the mess. And get the drummer a clean shirt that fits well with no holes in it. Fresh stage shoes for everyone too, not the same trainers you've been wearing everywhere for the past 6 months.

maxschrek, HawldieMPB and mikewalker like this.
  15. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm no no position to do anything but guess, but It makes sense that maybe gear logos being taped over are ones that are different than the artist's endorser's equipment. So, maybe (again guessing) not so much of an "I won't show your logo unless you pay me:, and more of a "I'm an XYZ artist, and part of my deal is that i don't pay other stuff". Seems pretty realistic that it's unrealistic that, especially amps and cabs can always in every situation be the endorser's product. Next best thing is to black out the logo...

That's my guess. You guys let me know how close to right I am...

16. Good to know as I'm one who would pay a builder not to put their advertisement on my cab. What's with using 20 percent of the equipment's real estate for advertising? With basses, the shape itself is branding, same as with many objects. I can de-badge a Saab or a Porsche and it's still unmistakably a Saab or Porsche. OTH if I want a bank getaway I de-badge a silver Camry and nobody will be able to tell the cops what I drove. LOL.

Rather than taping over the brand name, my preference would be a new logo that is utterly incongruous with the context. Like adorning the headstock with a Raleigh (bicycle) crest or branding my cab with a White Star Line flag. More fun to gonk some heads out there who are sizing up my gear to see if I'm hip enough to use Brand X.

17. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    A TV show I used to work on, back in the 90's, had strict policy on this.

Every band had to cover up all logos on amps, instruments etc (which was a lot of bands per show).
    I wasn't privy to the specific reasons behind it - I can see that there may have been issues with some artists profiting from endorsements, being in conflict, or sponsors and other advertisers having an issue with music brands getting free advertising.

I don't remember encountering it at the BBC, who have always had an outright ban on advertising, and product endorsement.

Now that I think about it, those rules at ITV did get relaxed, as I'm sure U2, R.E.M. & the RHCP didn't have to cover up, and I don't remember any other bands after that point having to do so.

The U.S. is a bit more complicated, so it's entirely possible that one network may have a certain policy, and others may have a different outlook.

It may even boil down to a specific sponsor, regardless of network policy??? I couldn't say in that regard.

zontar, HawldieMPB and MVE like this.
  18. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Yes, it's usually related to an endorsement.

bassbully likes this.
  19. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I black out the logos on all of my gear because I'm not a billboard.

I only wear clothes with logos if it's for a (usually local) band I support or if received as swag.

Note that I'm not necessarily opposed to being a billboard. I just expect to be compensated for my services.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 2:11 PM
  20. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Buy a CARVIN amp :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wise