1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

taper core strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dominik11, Sep 28, 2009.

1. dominik11

dominik11

Jan 9, 2009
    hallo i have a question.......can anybody tell me what are taper core strings.....and what is the difference between then and "standard" strings........thank you

2. Taper core strings have one or two less layers of wrap at the 'ball end' of the string that goes over the bridge saddles.

You primarily see this design on B strings, since those strings are so 'fat'. The logic is that a taper core string will help with intonating a large diameter string. Most set-up guys that I've talked to believe that is a bit of a myth, and that 'standard' thick strings will actually intonate a bit better. I don't think that design really makes a bit of difference one way or the other.

The most extreme version of this design is 'exposed core' that just has the thin wire core touching the bridge saddles.

I would not make a string choice based on how much wire sits on the bridge saddle myself.

3. dominik11

dominik11

Jan 9, 2009
    ok thank you very much

4. I think there's a tad more sustain to be gotten from a taperwound B which I really like, but I'm not into the exposed core type.

5. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    When I briefly used LaBella supersteps back in the '90's, I found that there were too many intonation compromises. On my modulus 5, the intonation can be brought to very close tolerances with D'Addario 170's, but the exposed cores of the LaBellas made it very difficult to intonate. I tried first using the octave as reference for each string, but the octaves and 5ths across the strings would only be good in certain registers. I'm guessing that happened because the mass is not consistent from end to end.

The sound was nice, punchy and articulate- especially on the low B.

6. I have GHS Progressives with the 'exposed core' on the B and E-strings (see pic below). Personally, I find them to sound rather hollow the higher I go on the fingerboard, and I also find them a bit more difficult to intonate. I don't care for them. I think the Skjolds I bought last night will work much better for me.

[​IMG]