Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tapping Songs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Vorago, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Heya

I've gotten into tapping recently, just basic stuff, root, 3rd, 5th, 7th up an octave etc..Now, a fellow bassplayer advised me some Stu Hamm songs to really get the hang of it...I tried to play a Bach, but I couldn't handle it 'cause some parts were simply too out of reach (6 octaves and stuff like that).

Now, any good Stu Hamm songs, or other that should get me started?

Cheers

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Stu has some really good songs that have simple parts. However, you're not going to find one of his songs that's easy to play all the way through (as a beginner at tapping). I would reccomend "Moonlight Sonata" and parts of "Country Music (A Night in Hell)".

4. most of stu hamms tapping songs arent really that easy, and require alot of finger dexterity..but a few of his good ones, which may be a challenge:

flow my tears (The policeman said)
    kings of sleep
    surely the best
    linus and lucy (this helps getting your hand independance improved)
    sexually active

...but what i reccomend attempting is taking guitar/melody parts of songs and figuring out them by tapping them out, my two fav's that ive done are stairway to heaven and classical gas.....

even checkout a few primus songs, les does a fair bit of tapping

DMV
    Jerry Was A Racecar Driver (this can be done on a 4)

and a few more, i cant remember at the moment, im not at home so i cant check my cd's

5. well, Les has said a few times that his style is a combination of Geddy Lee and Tony Levin.

on the new Primus DVD you can see him playing "Satori in Tangier" on the bass. it seems as if he was trying to play Levin's KC Stick parts on the bass and came up with his own spin.

Try some King Crimson tunes...pretty easy from a technical standpoint but they will really open you up musically:

-Elephant Talk
    -Indiscipline
    -Frame by Frame
    -Neal and Jack and Me
    -Waiting Man
    -Sartori in Tangier
    -Three of a Perfect Pair
    ...and many more

PLUS

Levin did some killer tapping on the early Peter Gabriel stuff.
    once again, none of these will kill you like the Hamm stuff but they are killer tunes and grooves and will really open up MUSICAL possiblities of tapping.

enjoy!

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Palomorado: where on the primus dvd is that?

7. i can't remember exactly where it is...maybe the "Seas of Cheese" section but he is playing Tony's opening groove of "Satori".

very cool.

i'll watch it tomorrow and get the exact location.

8. Nuclear Rabbit - Truth's ugly head .. Awesome tapping line, very good excersize for tapping (IMO). Also, on "Shoes dont fit", during the bridge, he plays some really nice tapping. His solo work has some really nice tapping too.
    I believe the bass player, Jean Baudin, is a member here. Anyways, he is a very creative player, really an inspiration to me!
    EDIT: wow... just noticed the uberbump

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Primus - DMV
    -That song got me really into tapping. It's really hard if you don't have a 5 or preferably 6 string though.
    Primus - Hello Skinny/Constantinople
    -Pretty fast and hard but hella fun.
    Primus - My Friend Fats
    -With some trebeless overdrive and some reverse delay, this song is REALLY fun.
    Liquid Tension Experiment - Chris and Kevin's Excellent Adventure
    -It's actually played on a stick, but it's possible with a 5 string.