TASCAM DP-035D Digital Portastudio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TexasGopher, Dec 5, 2014.

1. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

Jul 25, 2012
    Hello Folks---I am looking into buying one of these. I am looking for a quick, simple, way to record practices, rehearsals and gigs. Does not have to be studio quality. The feature that has me wanting one is you can burn a CD right then and there on the unit (true??). I guess I am looking for something like when we had portable cassette players (dating myself!!). Play a gig and listen to it on the way home. Any feedback would be appreciated especially if you have experience with this model. Thanks

2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    It won't burn a cd live. You'll have to route the recorded mix to a master track and then you can record a cd or put it on the SD card.

3. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

Jul 25, 2012
    Roland--thanks for the feedback. Is it easy to do?? I am old dog, can I learn this trick?? I gave my Zoom recorder away bc I could not get comfortable with it. thanks,

4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    It's pretty easy. I'm old myself and know what you mean but it's really no different than bouncing tracks on a portastudio. Just get to the correct menu (mastering/mixdown) and it should work great.
    For simply listening to a performance you only need to bring up the stereo track you recorded on and it will play back from the SD card. You can arm a different track and record another performance while keeping the first and so on. Burning a CD is only needed if you want to pass out copies or listen in the car.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  5. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I have a different model that is similar to that one (No CD burning option for example)
    It is pretty simple to use--& I found it mostly intuitive.
    It was close to what I was sued to from stuff other people I used to jam with had.
    If I got software to do recording I'd also have had to buy a lap top so I can go anywhere--and that would have cost a whole lot more.

I got one of these-a DP-008--but the one your looking at has faders--which I would preferred, but money was an issue--so I've adapted--but I like using it for testing out parts of songs I'm working on.