1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TB trade conondrum

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, May 27, 2011.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    So I traded my EBMM bongo here on TB.

Today the bass arrived and the new owner is disappointed on the satin finish on the neck that the bongo is known for. This is also visible on the pictures I posted on the FS ad.

TBer wants his bass back now.

Not too happy about this. I said I'd be willing to trade back if the buyer paid me for me shipping both basses since I don't want to be out of any money just because he did not know what he was buying.

Thoughts?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    agreed. If the bass is unmodified, caveat emptor applies here.

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, you make alot of sense. Interesting too, that's a pretty expensive bass to be trading for, sight unseen...otherwise he wouldn't have traded for it.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    You're being more than reasonable. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a fourth thread on this bass titled "my bass came back damaged".

5. Sounds good. When buying online it's up to the seller to disclose all possible issues with the bass but it's the buyer's job to figure out exactly what they're looking at in the first place.

6. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Sounds more then fair to me. I once bought a pickup on tallbass for $80 shipped. When I got it, I realized that I would have to cut into my upright to get it to fit. I did not want to do this and asked him if he would take it back. I offered to pay shipping my way and only asked for $60 of the original $80. He didn't want to dothis so I traded it for a nice pickup in about 3 hours :D
    I would want to tell him I can't help but that's your choice. I don't know what the problem is though, those bongo necks are beutiful!

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup - buyer needs to know what he's getting into. Since your Bongo is "stock", sorry, but the buyer in this case needed to do more thorough research. Your offer sounds fair to me in this instance.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm of two minds on this. Part of my wants to say, "too bad....do your research next time",
    but I know in the end, I'd do the trade back just to keep a good reputation on TB. I've had the exact same thing happen to me here. I did a trade where the other half was not happy with my bass. It wasn't for any reason other than "he didn't like the way it sounded". I REALLY liked the bass I got in trade. He offered to pay shipping for both of us, so I sent his back. I didn't want to, but eh...what can you do? I was perfectly within my "rights" to refuse to trade back, but I like to hang out here, and one bad deal can affect future deals. If the bass isn't defective though, the other guy would HAVE TO pay shipping both ways were I to do it.

9. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    The part that irks me the most is that this guy refuses to believe/admit he made a mistake. He keeps saying I "should have mentioned it in the ad". What am I supposed to say??? "Warning, this bass may be different from other basses"

10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    What bass isn't different from other basses?I have never came across two completely identical basses. They are like twins, they may look the same but they are always separate people with separate personalities.

11. That's the point!

Anyonefortennis, I suggest PMing an admin on this situation. If he gives you bad feedback you may be able to contest it.

12. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    He's trying to blame you so you'll send him his bass back.

13. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    It's interesting how some deals go sour.

The thing is, classifieds on TB are not considered 'on approval' where the buyer has remorse. Unless I'm missing something...

Warning: History lesson...
    There was a time in American merchandising when 'on approval' was found from hobby sales to clothing to many kinds of products. This was something that stores did to increase sales, and meet the public demand at the time. If the customer disapproved, they would return the item
    for money back, or according to the store terms.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    They still do the on approval stuff with M&Ms, shampoo, and other consumer commodities. (If you're not completely satisfied, tell us, and we'll give you your money back)

That said, I think you're being far too nice. If you don't like that bass as much as your bongo, I'd say trade back.

HOWEVER
    Guy is being an asshat because he never played a bongo and almost all EBMM products these days have a satin finished neck. He didn't know what he was getting and couldn't be bothered to either ask you or look it up online. It even says that its a satin finish on the EBMM website. Now he's blaming you for his own shortcomings.

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    IMO, no backsies. Too much of a risk of your bass arriving back in your hands effed up, or not at all. You completed the transaction cleanly and clearly, done deal, just me. Then again, I don't trade.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You owe him nothing.

Sounds like he wants his bass back...AND wants to keep the Bongo, if you catch my drift.

17. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I wouldn't trade back, because the other guy sounds like a tool, and who knows what he has done to the Bongo. It's pretty simple to buff the satin finished Bongo neck into a mirror like shine with a little compound and elbow grease; it'll happen eventually just from playing too.

18. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I'm with the "no backsies" crowd. If he leaves you a bad rep, just contest it. It'll be easier to explain how you got your negative rep later than it will be to lose BOTH basses and have to start your collection over.

19. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    GE, you're comparing a liberal, or generous return policy from a business with the 'on approval' transactions that have all but disappeared in the US. I remember their existence in the 70's, though. :)

20. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Send his bass back...but first put a satin finish on the neck! Troublemaker out!