TC combo head removal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sass2112, Dec 25, 2014.

1. sass2112

sass2112

Mar 16, 2013
    Hey guys and gals!

First of, I hope you all are having very happy holidays!

My parents very kindly bought me a TC electronic bg250 208 combo for Christmas and I was wondering if there is anyway I can take the head out of the combo?

From what I can tell it's either glued or screwed into the speaker cab but I don't want to just pull at it..

Thanks in advance guys!

Sass.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have not tried pulling the head from mine, but keep in mind you can just put the combo on top of another 8 Ohm cab and use both together.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  3. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

and void any warranty? great idea !

Why would you want to do that? If you only want a head, take it back and get a head.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You probably could, but there are more than likely some consequences in doing so...for example, one combo I tried this with didn't have a top plate and required cutting the built-in speaker cable to get the head past it. Operating an amp without a top cover plate is a major shock hazard. And as stated, it'll likely void the warranty if they can prove you tried to pull it out.

5. The suggestion by @lomo above is probably a good consideration to make.

If you're dead set on doing it (after all, it's a bit different than removing the amp from most combos, in that the head case is identical to the BH250, with the exception of having rubber feet), I'm pretty sure someone posted about taking theirs off in the BG250 club thread; I'd check through that and see what they found.

I had one for a few weeks, and from eying it with the same thing in mind, it looks like you'd have to pull the speakers (or at least the top one) and remove the screws through the back of the cabinet.

6. sass2112

sass2112

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback guys, the reason I didn't just want the head is that I need a small cab too.

If I do ned to remove a speaker or two will that damage the amp?

7. It is certainly possible to remove the speakers without damage...whether you can or will do it without causing damage is another question o_O

8. sass2112

sass2112

Mar 16, 2013
    Ah i see... I cant seem to find anything on that thread you mentioned. Do you have a link to the specific page by any chance?

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The 208 combo is already small. How small a speaker are you thinking of???

10. sass2112

sass2112

Mar 16, 2013
    Im keeping the 208 as the speaker, I just want to be able to take the head on its own with out having to take the cab every time.

11. Sorry, there may not actually be such a post. I said that I thought I remembered seeing it, but there was a good bit of talk about removing the head...maybe no one posted about actually doing it.

12. sass2112

sass2112

Mar 16, 2013
    Alrighty, well thank you very much anyway!

13. Argassab

Argassab

Dec 16, 2014
    Cayman Islands
    If you take the head off by itself you will still need a cab to able to play with it unless you want to play with headphones. The 208 is already small to carry around. You can get a 212 cab to get a big sound just as ehlers did on youtube.:bassist:

14. return it and get a new cab. Thats the best move, IMO.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    He can't do that...it's a Christmas present from Mom and Dad! Bad form.

16. hah right, but Ik my rents would prefer that I goot what I was really looking for than what they thought I was really looking for. He wouldn't be the first person to exchange a present for something else. And if it makes his smile bigger, shouldnt that be what they want?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I guess you could argue either way on that one ;)

18. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I tried it right when they came out. There is a thread about it somewhere. My conclusion was a No. I did take it all apart, but it needed way too much futzing to make it work. But worse of all, the head sounded like crap with my larger cabinets. I had a bh250 too, and you'd assume they were identical heads. They clearly were not. The combo amps bass sounded really weird with a full size cabinet. I believe it was confirmed that TC said they voiced the combo electronics differently.

I put it all back and sold it.

19. CaneyBoniface

CaneyBoniface

Feb 17, 2015
    Malaysia
    i already remove the head from it cause of repairing..