1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic presents SpectraDrive Bass Preamp & Line Driver

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Mar 16, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    SpectraDrive Bass Preamp and Line Driver is a powerful tone tool for serious bass players in search of an exceptional sounding and ultra-flexible preamp pedal.

Lifted directly from our awesome BH800 bass head, the preamp section features a 4-band intelligent EQ for surgical tone sculpting and TonePrint compression courtesy of our mighty SpectraComp.

But the real power of SpectraDrive is the custom built studio-grade DI with switches for pre/post-EQ, ground/lift, and line/instrument level, which allows you to control your sound through the house PA from the stage.

Add to that a TonePrint TubeDrive circuit with a separate footswitch to cover your low-end in an array of different dirts while the built-in BonaFide Buffer keeps your tone crisp and loud no matter the distance.

To keep your chops as good as your tone, SpectraDrive easily pulls double-duty as the perfect practice companion thanks to its high-quality headphone amplifier and AUX input.

SpectraDrive features
    • Bass preamp with 4-band intelligent EQ
    • Active DI with balanced XLR output
    • TonePrint: SpectraComp compression and TubeDrive distortion
    • Built-in BonaFide Buffer
    • Headphone amp
    • AUX input
    Available Q2 2018

Price 199.99 $

SPECTRADRIVE_P0D9D_Rear_B.png SPECTRADRIVE_P0D9D_Left_L.png SPECTRADRIVE_P0D9D_Top_L.png

mark beem, deepwave, rtav and 6 others like this.
  2. deepestend

deepestend Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    This looks cool. Love the headphone out. Would like to hear how useable that is.

deepwave and physics like this.
  3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    looks like a winner to me!

deepwave and physics like this.
  4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The headphone out would be very useable if you were trying to practice late at night or any other situation where you need to not make much noise. It is not intended to be used as a live gig monitoring device like IEM's.

physics likes this.
  5. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    If the aux in also had a blend knob you could blend the signal with your bass. That would have been even better!

6. BoogieZK

BoogieZK

Sep 28, 2008
    Toulouse, France
    You can easily make a little box with a good stereo pot and use this unit as a IEM device.

Yep, TC is becoming a very good brand with this preamp, it only miss a bluetooth connection for the phone or audio device.
    A blend knob for the aux in.
    Maybe adding another TonePrint knob with multiple effects capability?

Very interested in a review of this unit.

7. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Whether this is a buy for me depends on the eq. If only it was semi parametric—then it would be a no brainer.

8. Does Intelligent EQ mean that you can set your own centers? It would be pretty great if you could set it up with HPF and LPF with two variable mid controls.

BassWaffle likes this.
  9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I don’t think you can do that but it would be pretty amazing for sure.

10. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Could this be the Plex killer so may have been waiting for? The only thing it'as missing is a tuner

BrentSimons and deepwave like this.
  11. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    No. But it means that the frequency center is different when boosting vs. cutting.

12. I am really surprised they didn't include a tuner. They pretty much have one built into all their bass amps.

13. SirMoak

SirMoak

Jan 6, 2017
    The big question is how deep the editing goes with the toneprints. I have a spectracomp and while it's a good comp, I could only get it to work the way I wanted by manually editing all the parameters via the editor. If it's the same thing like the heads and combos where you can only upload toneprint presets, then it's still fine, but being able to edit the comp and drive would be awesome.

14. aussietc

aussietc

Apr 14, 2010
    Unfortunately, not the PLEX killer I was waiting and hoping for. Not even a tuner and mute function on the TC. No other TonePrint capabilities other than the overdrive. A bypass switch for who knows what? The PLEX does more. TC could have made the ultimate bass pre-amp, something totally unique by basing it off their BH heads, but they missed the mark here.

SteveFromBerlin likes this.
  15. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    +1000!

Don't know about the tonal qualities of the BH stuff, can say that the tuner in the BGs is crap BUT STILL THERE IS ONE and I don't get it at all why they would have a bypass switch and not let the customer choose what kind of TP they'd like with it. Love the Spectra Comp by the way.

PLEX does more, but the Overdrive and Comp sections have been criticized a lot.

16. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    PS: Agreeing with someone who said that drive sent to FoH without some form of Cab Sim can be tricky / too harsh sounding!

El-Bob likes this.
  17. +Cab sim and it would be all perfect

18. Has anyone seen specs on the EQ frequencies?

19. It says it's the same preamp as the BH800 so here are the specs from the BH800:

Tone control: Bass
    50 Hz @ Gain -24 to 0 dB; 80 Hz @ Gain 0 to +24 dB

Tone control: Low Mids
    200 Hz @ Gain -24 to 0 dB; 160 Hz @ Gain 0 to +24 dB

Tone control: High Mids
    630 Hz @ Gain -24 to 0 dB; 800 Hz @ Gain 0 to +24 dB

Tone control: Treble
    1800 Hz @ Gain -24 to 0 dB; 4000 Hz @ Gain 0 to +24 dB

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, you can use both compressor and drive Toneprints. And, it looks like there are three stages of drive so it looks to be pretty versatile in that regard.

68660FCE-2BBF-40CE-AD73-EA0D2A5AEE85.png

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021