1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic RH450 discussion - Tweaking the Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eublet, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Hi guys. I'm VERY excited to be announcing this. Uffe Hansen at TC Electronic has invited 5 TB users to particpate in a test group for the RH450 and an internal beta version of a PC application that allows the user to access internal settings on the Preamp. The connection between the RH450 to the PC is facilitated by a special USB-to-Midi cable that connects to the "Remote" port on the back panel of the RH450.

The users who were invited are:

KJung
    Vic
    Tom7
    Musicman20
    Eublet (myself)

None of us are endorsers, but we have been very enthusiastic about the RH450 for a while now, and have rambled on at length in many threads here about these heads, the potential they provide, and how we would like to be able to adjust this or that under the hood. Uffe and TC have noticed this so they're going to let us give it a go.

We have freedom to post our discussions here, and hopefully to get ideas for things to try from others. So please participate in the discussion with us. We can not however share the Tweaker PC application with anyone so please don't ask!

I want to give a very special thanks to Uffe and TC Electronic for asking us to particpate and provide feedback. This is the kind of thing you want to see from a manufacturer as it shows they care about what their users are interested in. So many here have made suggestions and Uffe has noticed them. So here we go!

Below is a partial cut and paste from an email Uffe sent us which explains a few things about what we're doing.

2. Excellent.. Subscribed. It's great that TC have made this available. Let's see what you tweakers come up with.

:)

Every time I use my RH450, it blows me away.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Once we get this thing rolling, it should get very interesting. :)

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very very cool!
    Not a lot of companies would go to all this trouble in order to get to know their target audiences better.

Now, if only they developed a way to buy 1 TC cab and have them sound like any of their other cab offerings.:p:D:smug:

5. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Oh snap!!!

6. Very interested and happy to have a chance to try this out. I'll be putting up clips:D

7. Im very excited and lucky to be a part of this. Its going to be very fun getting to know how all of this works. Thanks TC and Uffe.

8. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Wow, VERY interested and excited about this. You know what would be REALLY cool, is if down the road they sold an interface cable like that, and you could download/save presets from your computer. They wouldn't have to make Tweaker available, just let us swap and save presets easier.

9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Lowpass filter adjust for the win.

The rest is just tweaking things that I don't think are broken, but I understand the attraction for some and there may be some cool setting to be found.

That said, while I applaud this effort, I'd be a lot more excited/impressed if I actually had my amp. 22 calendar days at the service facility and counting. TC was nice enough to ask for my impressions of their service last night via web survey. I politely but firmly told them what I thought.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Subscribed and very excited.

Being able to go in and open up the highend more if you had a gig that specifically called for it, etc would be phenomenal.

Tweaking ability would give each user the access to make a great amp a perfect amp for 'their' specific need. And as with most things 'many' or 'most' users of the amp wouldn't have an ongoing need, but for those who do value such things it would be phenomenal.

I know for me personally gigging here around Nashville, being able to have some different saved 'natures' of amp configs that I set up for vintage country, modern country, rock, funk, gospel, etc would be unreal. Just dump whichever I need into the amp prior to gig and would avoid much of the EQ tweaking I'd normally do to push the amp in different genre type directions.

IMHO.

11. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I look forward to you guys figuring out cool settings and then me being able to copy! ;)

12. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Time to actually open up my RH450 and get to work on making my own interface.. this type of thing is my cup of tea :)

Better make it an offical product before I do :)

13. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    This is great news and the testers involved are great as well!! :D

Unfortunetly, I sold my RH450. But, I can see only good things coming out of this.
    The only problem I had with this amp was the low pass filter. If this amp can get
    the sparkle of lets say a MB you have a real winner. The amp overall is fantastic.

Looking forward to Ken's clips on this one too!!!

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I finally have a Q3. I probably should plan to do this as well.

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I think this is pretty much on everybody's short list, so I would assume this would be one of the first things. :)

16. Brilliant news.
    Nice one TC!

It is truly fantastic to see this relationship between Research+Development and End-Users.

Even if TC don't end up releasing this Tweaking Interface, I'm sure the feedback they recieve will be great and will result in better/more varied products down the line.

I personally think that if the tweaking is available for people, the product will improve - because it is a fantastic amp at default settings anyway.

Good luck to the five involved.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yes, and I think it's important for us to all realize/remember, per Uffe's post, what may be productized from this, or when, is not even on the radar of this thread. Right now, it's just a research/feedback project.

If, at some point, a product announcement is appropriate, Uffe will of course handle that, and do so in the appropriate ways (with respect to the CUPS here.)

18. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Defintely gotta give TC some 'props' for continuing to develop instead of the normal "We think we already did enough" routine that is all too common in tech.

But to not (eventually) release something like this to the people that already bought one would kinda irk me the wrong way. I really don't care about anyone else who buys one down the line. When/If the changes are made to the next model, it might make the next version far superior to mine (thus making mine worth less on the used market) and actually be all software related.

I'll be spending much of my free time saturday and sunday with my Saleae logic analyzer and my RH450.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Ok, my post was specifically intended to try and head posts like these off at the pass and avoid them.

Please... PLEASE... do NOT get all spun up on what may or may not eventually happen with the product from this thread. PLEASE!!

Just trust that TC Electronic will make the appropriate product and customer decisions when the time comes. Let's try to leave that UNKNOWN factor out of this thread and just enjoy the adventure. Ok?

20. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I'd love to enjoy the adventure. If I ever get my amp back :p

yeah, yeah...I know...broken record. But the interwebs is for venting and arguing. And pron.