1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic RH450, RS210, RS212 Review Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Are you using the rackmount receiver, or the battery powered stomp box size? Would like to try one someday, and am always looking to keep my gear on the small, easily portable side... but I hear the stomp-box size eats batteries.

Thx...

2. Cool thanks for the review!! Cool products :) Although I was left cold after playing the RH450 after a Fusion 550 :D

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The plus is in between. It is larger than the stompbox, but not rack mounted.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Well, I played the RH450 through some Schroeders today with pretty great results. The Schroeders were a little more dry, yet still punchy compared to the RS210+RS212... the tone was excellent.

My Rob Allen Mouse got a nice workout today too. Turns out I had to turn down the gain at the trimmer, and once I did that, it was fretless heaven. The RH450 with flat EQ, no TubeTone, no compression was perfect for the tone of this bass.

5. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    That is very interesting. We have a Bose PA that stacks speakers in columns that I LOVE playing through because I can hear myself so well without overpowering the mix in the audience. That is very VERY interesting.

I am used to an extremely clean tone through my current rig (Demeter+Accugroove). Please do keep us posted on if you find a way to tweak out a cleaner tone.

Hm. Maybe that's what loend68 needs to do to remove grit from his tone.

6. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Forgot to mention, the gain was on the bass. RA's are very loud and boomy basses but sound so sweet when attenuated properly.

7. subscribed as well:)

8. TAS

TAS

May 3, 2008
    I adore mine! It does everything it promises, and tweaking can really reveal some subtleties. Not lettin' it go.

tas

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    View attachment 123805

The RH450 has come through flawlessly at all of the gigs I've played with it.

A true pleasure to use!:bassist:

10. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Oh. Well, I guess that won't help then, will it? :cool:

11. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Played a modern jazz gig this weekend with the RH450. Turned off the Tube Tone and found that I needed to turn off most of the compression too. I was using a Bergantino HT322 speaker. Ran it completely flat except for a slight bass bump (I am using a passive Nordy). WOW !!!!!! Sounded great, and got lots of compliments from musicians in the audience. I used the rig with the complimentary foot pedal. It's well designed, durable and useful. The turner on the foot pedal is real nice as it gives you "dots" showing how flat or sharp you are.

12. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Funny you mention this. At first the flat settings sounded 'off' to me as I originally set it up in my office... a very boomy room with hard floors and high ceilings. In our practice room, the amp sound GREAT with flat settings. I too have dialed down the TubeTone a little.

13. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    More updates….

Two more gigs this past weekend in very different situations. The 90’s grungy kinda throw together gig I mentioned before, put me on a stage with the amp about 7’ behind me. What I found is that much past 5’ in front of it I was having trouble hearing it. This may have had to do with the fact that past that point I was getting hit with a lot of the guitar players rig. He was using a 1x12 Boogie .50 Cal, but it’s pretty loud and he has a thinner Ibanez tone that may have stepped on the frequencies that ‘cut’ for me to hear. Anyway, a step or two back from the front of the stage brought it all back.
    The second night I played an original show on a fairly cramped stage. I loved the fact that this thing doesn’t take up any room! I tucked it back in by the drums and I was all set. The show was with some old Boston bands from the early 90’s that still do a show once or twice a year. Totally old school guys. As I was placing the 2x10’s on the stage one of them asked me ‘Is that thing going to be loud enough?’ I said don’t you worry. It went off great and really cut through the mix.

I’m looking forward to some tweaking the next couple of nights at rehearsal. I want to try the flat setting and see what happens. I did all my initial tweaking by myself and want to try it on the fly. I try not to tweak too much at shows, I think it looks unprofessional to be constantly running back to your amp.

Over all I’m very happy with this amp though I still think I should have picked the 2x10/2x12 combination of cabs for a little more low end thump.

14. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    I put a sound clip on my myspace (link in my sig)

My gui**** and drummer were over to my house and we were coming up with a 3 piece arrangement for Frankenstien, by Edgar Winter...no keyboards.

I just put 3 mics on the drums, miced the guitar and ran the DI from the RH450.

It's a little rough, but shows the "plug-and-play" ability of this amp.

I ran it pre-EQ--no compression or EQ in the mix.
    Jazz bass with both pickups & tone wide open.

Its the last song on my myspace player (RH450 DEMO)

This was first take live with no dubs. Got a little "bleed" from the drum mics, but not much.

15. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Wow... the clips sounds great John!

16. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Thanks-
    That was just a "living-room" demo.
    I'll try to get a clip of the "digital out" the next time I'm in a proper studio.

17. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Wow! I REALLY liked that clip, John. I think I know the answer but I thought I'd ask anyway... which bass were you playing on the RH450 audio clip?

That was really great.

18. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    that was my 2003 Highway 1 jazz,
    Its the one in the picture above.

It has passive EMG selects in it right now.

19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow, that sounds great. You are *almost* forgiven for cutting off your pony tail :p

20. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Oh, well, I only knew part of the answer then. Sounds GREAT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.