1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tc electronics thrust bq500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexander_gbass, Jan 31, 2020.

1. alexander_gbass

alexander_gbass

May 5, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, California
    Endorsing Artist
    Hey everybody !

I hope you are all doin well and rockin the low end

What is the power handling at 4 and 8 ohms for this amp ?

I’m running a 300 watt at 8 ohm bass cab

Cheers and blessings
    Alexander

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, the TC docs for this amp are a bit cagey because they don't really say clearly what the output is @ 4 and 8 ohms.
    It does say "max output 500w" and it does say the amp has a min resistance of 4ohms.

So, I think its reasonable to say the BQ500 will do 500w @ 4ohms and something less than that @ 8ohms.
    I will guess and say it's probably a bit more than 250w at 8ohms, but likely less than 300w for this kind of amp (class D power section).

So, you are probably good with your 300w rated 8ohm cab. Just make sure to listen to the cab for any signs of distress (it'll sound really bad)

good luck!

alexander_gbass likes this.
  3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Someone did the math in another thread converting the Max power to RMS and at 8 ohms it was somewhere around 340 watts @8 ohms If I remember correctly but that could also have been the @4 ohms . You would have to look up the old thread.I have one of these amps and If you use the thrust?comp. it gets very squished much past 9;00 but it is decent sounding up to that point.

gebass6 and alexander_gbass like this.
  4. alexander_gbass

alexander_gbass

May 5, 2012
    Endorsing Artist
    Compression would be turned all the way down

5. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Just saying the compression from off to about 9:00 sounds good and gives the sound a little fatness / Punch. And you can run the gain pretty hot without getting distorted.

alexander_gbass likes this.
  6. alexander_gbass

alexander_gbass

May 5, 2012
    Endorsing Artist

Ooh nice !!

7. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    I almost have one of the, shold be recieved in the next couple of days. I don't yet have a cab option.

I suspect the K-series is being discontinued, and the K210 and K212 have been out of stock globally for over 2 months. I wondering if they are going to do a more lightweight Neo option in the future. So I'm either wanting on TC, or may go for the Markbass 102p 8 Ohms, which is rated at 400 ohms. If the TC BQ500 is 340 ohms, does that make it an good match for the Markbass 102p 8 Ohms?

8. I have one [email protected] 500 [email protected] at 300 something from what I can tell
    As for the Thrust compressor to the left of 12 gives you a nice fat bass tone and to the right brings in the compression

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

Just ordered one from Sweetwater.
    See if it will replace my old Carvin B500 class A amp head.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  10. gebass6

...And I have it!
    I have the same amp situation as the OP.
    4 ohms into a 8 ohm cab.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    wyleeboxer likes this.
  11. Cool, let us know how it gigs?

12. gebass6

Well I'm not a gigging player,but I do "Basement Gigs" with some friends every so often.

wyleeboxer likes this.
  13. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you have an 8 ohm cab or a 4 ohm cab you have nothing to worry about. However with the 8 ohm cab you can add another 8 ohm cab in the future and have a 4 ohm load but with a 4 ohm cab you can not add more cabs. And I believe the RMS power out figures to be about [email protected] 4 Ohms. As for the compressor it starts compressing as soon as you turn it on and turn the knob. From off to 9:00 it gives you nice fat tone . once you go past that the compression becomes very noticeable and past noon is very squished you lose most of your dynamics.

wyleeboxer and gebass6 like this.
  14. Evenbass84

Evenbass84

Jul 8, 2015
    i would stay away from the 102p cab. Had one, and never got it to sound good.

15. I had a Ninja 122 8ohm and I felt the BQ500 didn’t have the headroom at 8ohms to drive the cab really well. The BQ500 works much better with a 4ohm cab or combined cabs.. imho

16. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    I have a BQ500. I call it the “Barbecue 500”

Nobody seems to be quite sure what type of rating TC is using. It’s prob peak watts, but only they know.

If TC is rating the BQ500 at 500 watts peak @ 4 ohms,
    it would be
    354 watts RMS into a 4 ohm load
    177 watts RMS into an 8 ohm load

wyleeboxer likes this.
  17. Yeaaaah I would say that’s about close to what actual wattage this amp is appears to be putting out.. although I did use the BQ500 with my small 112 8ohm cab last Saturday at an outdoor party. We didn’t need to play real loud but the amp/cab still held its own with drum, keys, guitar etc...
    152AED0F-134B-403A-A526-3AAB21F0DA82.jpeg

Gregy and gebass6 like this.
  18. Gary Neighbors

Gary Neighbors

May 21, 2017
    Does anyone know about any quality issues with this amp other than the switch labeling being reversed?
    I had a BG250 combo which crapped out after 4 weeks with a bad power supply. I shipped it to Florida to their service center where it sat another 4 weeks because they did not had parts and did not know when they would. They finally gave me another amp and it crapped out.
    Needless I am gun shy but the price point/wattage is attractive.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just grabbed one of these. Wow! This thing is pretty damn loud! Nice simple amp with a compressor. If it lasts more than a year, it's well worth the price and will pay for itself in 6 months. I had the gain at noon and the master at 10 o'clock. Had my room rumbling and it was only connected to a Peavey 8ohm 1x12. I can't imagine it hooked up to my 4ohm Eden 212 cab or my 2 GK Neo112's! I had the 'compressor' at noon. I didn't notice any volume degradation as has been mentioned. It feels solid and well made. Knobs turn smoothly. Will be a while before testing out the DI. For $249....this is a frikkin' bargain! Everyone should have one as a backup. I may even buy another just to have.

As for the power ratings....Dunno. Don't care. It sounded just as loud as my Markbass LMIII. It's loud enough for my needs. I will say....I'd like to see more simple amps without all the parametric/graphic eq at affordable price points.

westrock likes this.
  20. Gary Neighbors

Gary Neighbors

May 21, 2017
    I am really happy with mine but since Covid it hasn't been road tested for hours on end.

DWBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021