1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teacher got mad at me last week.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 27, 2019.

1. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    I can learn, play and retain some pretty hard complex stuffs but holy %#@%$# does Dock of the Bay lose me. i've had to learn that tune 50 times for gigs and I still can't remember the changes. no other song has given me such a hard time.

2. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I think getting mad was out of line, disappointment maybe? But the important thing about your mistake is this: Did you learn anything from your mistake? Mistakes are fine if you can turn them into lessons.

Part of chart reading is about the notes for sure, but there is lot more information on the page that needs to be digested before you even start playing. Key signature, time signature, dynamics and form navigation markings.

I know you weren't sight reading, but that's the first thing the great sight readers do - they analyze the piece and do a quick mental walk through looking for codas and DSs, DCs repeats etc - just to get a big picture map in their head. There are a few seminars at SBL talking about this and even an example of a top session guy being handed a lead sheet for the first time and see how he reacts to it. You can see his eyes scanning the whole piece and then Scott has him verbalize what he's doing. IN this case, it's a jazz piece and he's also looking for chord patterns and determining what written parts he needs to use and wher he can just wing it over the chord. I know all this doesn't apply to what you are learning, but the premise is still the same - familiarize yourself with the big picture first thing. Make that part of your routine while learning new pieces.

Good for you for taking on this type of challenge. I used to read pretty well on horns (100 years ago), but find it very hard to read in time on bass.

Colonel Barnes likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.

i think some here are confusing respect and dignity for each other with teaching and learning.

the best teachers know what each student requires to get to the next level. if my teacher insults my pride/esteem, my preconceptions, my habits, etc., the teacher may be taking advantage of my 'position' as a student in the best possible way...for me to learn.

rigorous (real!) lessons are not for the squeamish. good luck to you all if you think 'participation trophies' (and the culture it spawns) is the best teaching method. if snowflakes had real skills = they wouldn't be snowflakes! :D

re: the OP: the cat cares about your progress! good luck with your reading chops, doc! :thumbsup:

Wisebass, Tad, teh-slb and 1 other person like this.
  4. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    How many weeks in a row have you made the same mistake? It would have to happen on many lessons in a row before I ever got 'mad' at a student or even said anything that wasn't encouraging.

5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    A good teacher knows what it takes to motivate a student. Some students respond to 'anger' and disappointment.
    It's probably all an act, so don't take it too personally...
    If it's real anger, it may indicate a personality flaw.
    As OP notes the teacher's approach brings about renewed effort and subsequent improvement, it may be the teacher is on to something...
    Adult learning is fundamentally different than teaching children.

6. A good teacher criticizes effort not results, and even then getting mad should not enter the equation.

gln1955 and lfmn16 like this.
  7. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have been teaching String Orchestra for 19 years now. I have also been teaching private lessons for 30 years now as well. I would suggest www.sightreadingfactory.com. my students use it and is very helpful with skill level from 1-5. Covers various rhythm, key signatures, time signatures, etc. This is a good site. Sightreading is reading a piece of music you have never seen or heard neccesarily for the first time.

May be time to find another teacher, "just cause they may play well, does not mean they can teach well".

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I need to say I have known my teacher for maybe 18 years. I knew him for maybe nine years before I first took lessons from him. Teaching me has been an adjustment since I think he thought I knew more theory than I did because I know a lot of music history and he heard me play some fairly hard stuff by ear. My teacher is a fine player, and some of you have probably seen him on the Tonight Show, Steven Colbert, or Austin City Limits.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Tad likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know he cares about my progress. I am a 100% adult. I would not stand for anyone who disrespected me as a person. Learning is just humbling at times for a man who feels he can play a bit.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cheese: i know that you know all of that! :thumbsup:

my issue was with the PC crowd, sorry if you were offended. :)

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You did not offend me at all.:) I just wanted to put my feelings on the record for the thread.

Wisebass, Tad and JRA like this.
  12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

If a teacher gets mad at a student, it's a failing on the part of the teacher, not the student. If you aren't smart enough to figure out how to motivate your students without getting mad at them, you should find another profession.

Spidey2112 and gln1955 like this.
  13. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    "Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing." :blackeye:

Yet here you are shilling a book that teaches fundamentals. :whistle:

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Why? It's a pretty basic song.

15. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    not sure what you are getting at here. Ed just gave very reasonable, good advice. his book has nothing to do with his post..

if you wrote a book about bass playing, would it not be stated anywhere on your profile?

you don't need a teacher to learn how to read. i think good teachers can make the processes surprisingly easy. bad teachers can make slower than with no teacher. if you seriously want to get to a place where you can glance at something, know what it should sound like, and be able to execute it in a way idiomatic to the style, you really should have a teacher to facilitate that process from start to finish. but it absolutely can be done without a teacher.

16. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    if I knew why I would shut it down. it makes no sense.

17. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Another opinion on who needs a teacher. What I'm getting at, IMO, was a direct hit at the OP, a long time contributor to this forum. How one adult believes he can tell another what he does or doesn't need with regards to education is kind of nuts, followed by the book on fundamentals. You could easily learn Jazz fundamentals on your own in the same manner that you can learn to read on your own. That's what I'm getting at. I just saw irony in that statement.

18. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    From what you've said you just need a new teacher. This person has you confused and somewhat clueless.

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    PC crowd? Seriously, you're stooping that low?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    This is a great advice! Thanks for that!