Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teacher or Luthier bias against EUB's

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ii7-V7, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I heard mention in another thread about teachers not wanting to accept students who don't use Acoustic basses.

Is there a bias against EUB's? Do luthiers complain about setting up EUB's? What are your thoughts about this?

Chad

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I can't speak about teachers, but the luthiers I've brought EUBs to were very open-minded and liked to work on them!

3. Steve Azola

Steve Azola Azola Basses

Jan 23, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    www.azola.com
    I have to chime in here, first of all because I'm from Bel Air, MD and I notice that's where chaddukes is located.

And also because we've had *so* many bass teachers and school music programs recommend EUBs for their students through the years. Especially for growing kids, sometimes EUBs are less cumbersome to carry, etc ... as long as the chosen EUB has the proper reference points and scale length so an easy transition can be made to the acoustic upright. That's been our experience anyway.

As far as luthiers who specialize in acoustic instruments are concerned, some of them may not want to mess with the on-board electronics with which many EUBs are equipped. But there shouldn't be any issues with fingerboard planing or any other basic woodworking issues. It really depends on the luthier, some are more open-minded than others. Guitar tech-types can usually handle any wiring repairs or pot replacements, that sort of thing. But it's often best to have the person who built the EUB do any work to it, if that's a cost-effective option.

- Steve

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    As a teacher, I would have to assess each situation independently. If it was a second bass for a student, and occasional lesson was on the stick, I wouldn't have a problem. If it was a student that had no interest in exploring double bass, but wanted to augment his Slab arsenal with the stick, this would be fine as well.

Other than that, though, the stick has almost nothing to do with the bass once you get past basic left hand issues and would probably cause a mess down the road with someone who really wants to play the real bass. All of the time (months and years) needed to learn how to produce project a sound from the monster fiddle would have to be made up at a later date, meaning that time on the stick is likely time lost on a number of important issues with playing the double bass.

5. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, my situation is that I am saving up for a "real" bass. I'm not going to invest in a cheap plywood instrument. I'm going to save up and get a decent instrument that I won't outgrow in a year. In the meantime I can build an EUB. I'm fairly handy, and quite confident that I can build something decent. The neck will be a copy of a normal DB neck (Eb neck) and all other dimensions will be as identical to a DB as possible. This will get me started while I save money for the next year or more to get an Acoustic bass. But I figured that I would take it to a luthier to have them look it over and do the final set up.

I mean wouldn't it be better to be playing than not?

By the way, Mr. Azola...I didn't know you were from Bel Air, MD.

Chad

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I suppose, but wouldn't the wordworking time be better spent playing? You can get a good ply in the $1,500-$2,000 range. I spent most of my professional career on a plywood bass and don't feel that I've suffered because of it, although I wasn't working on the bow at all for that time. I'd say that if you can swing the money, a good ply bass is still a better deal than busting up your hands for how many weeks (or months) and then still not having time on a real bass.
    Just my thought on it...

7. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I don't have $1500 dollars, but I do have a lot of wood and tools. I know that I'll likely still need to invest a few hundred dollars in Tuners, strings, end pin, etc.

Renting a DB is also a possibility.

Chad

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Check out renting. Look up Mike Shank, who might no be too far from you. I think he does rentals, and his setups are great: http://www.ShankStrings.com

This might be a much better way for you. You can take the cash and time saved and get some lessons to boot.

9. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I think that this is the direction that I might go, though I will still build an EUB eventually. Its just so much easier to carry around than an Acoustic DB.

Chad

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Carrying them around is a minor issue, really, unless you're talking airports. People that have not moved them much make a bigger deal out of this than bass players. I think a lot of us cart the things around with pride -- kind of a war medal of sorts...

11. Well, if you don't consider an EUB to be real, don't waste your time/money on one. Hang out for the instrument you really want.

My own view is that my Warwick Thumb, my fretless Jazz, my EUB, my borrowed URB and my home-made one-string broomstick are all real basses that make real music when used appropriately.

12. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    The "real" comment was not because of my own personal thoughts, but rather that several others on this board think of EUB's as not really being the same thing....and in fact they are not the same as a DB, but they are certainly basses none the less.

Chad

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :rolleyes: Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbayaaaaa..... :smug:

14. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Huh?

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest