Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teachers in the Washington D.C area

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by gypsyeyes, Mar 2, 2005.

1. gypsyeyes

gypsyeyes

Mar 2, 2005
    does anyone know any good bass teachers in the DC area. Someone who teaches arco and jazz

thanks

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I think our own "T-bal" teaches... search him in members forum...

Also Byron Toney is a fantastic teacher. you may be able to find him through Washington Music Center...

3. gypsyeyes

gypsyeyes

Mar 2, 2005
    THanks DZ
    if anyone else has any reccomendations i would appreciate it

4. You might try finding Keter Betts # through the Musicians Association.

5. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    George Vance, slavapub.net

He wrote some really good books for beginners-

Progressive Repetoire for Bass

6. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    SOMD/DC/VA
    Are you starting from scratch on the bass? Do you have any prior instrumental experience?

View my profile, then send a PM if you are interested. I taught at the college level from 1983-2003 at the University of Akron, Bowling Green State U., Montgomery College, and Shenandoah U.

I live in Charles county, about 15 miles south of the Beltway.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Do you know Sam Gordon ?

8. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    SOMD/DC/VA
    Haven't met him yet.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    He was head of Graduate studies at Akron.

10. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    SOMD/DC/VA
    I was in Akron from 1983-85. His name doesn't ring a bell, so I'm guessing he came along later. As I recall, Sherman Vanderark was the graduate honcho back then. Did you do some time along the Cleveland-Canton axis?

11. megan

megan

Feb 29, 2004
    LA, CA
    I don't wanna create another thread so I add my question along with this one since I have simliar question.
    Does anyone know a good DB teacher in the LA area?
    I play DB for couple years and I'd like to learn more about skills and musical stuff.
    I know there are lots of great teachers from LA phil, but I wonder how much they usually take. (I don't know if I can afford that based on my budget)
    Could someone please give me some input?
    Thanks~~

:)
    -megan

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You were at BG? Do I know you?

13. Megan, call the L.A. Musicians Assoc. As you'd imagine, there are tons of bass teachers teaching all the genre's of music it's rediculous!
    Good luck.

14. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    SOMD/DC/VA
    Grew up in Toledo, got my BM from BGSU in '79. Was the interim classical bass prof 1985-86. I sat in with your dad several times, but we haven't met in person. He always blew me away with how good he is on multiple instruments. I especially liked the group he had with Jimmy Cook.

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's really suprising that we didn't meet (unless, of course, you were avoiding me :)) as Toledo is so small. What's your name? You were making the jazz hang, so you worked with / studied under Halsey? I was around BG a lot inthe early/mid 80's as I was hanging with Jeff a lot at that point.

HUGE apologies for the highjacking, but it's always exciting to meet someone that hails from the hometown....

16. Yeah! You never see me doin' that!!
    Enjoy yourselves!!!

17. Did this Jimmy Cook play tenor?

18. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    SOMD/DC/VA
    Jimmy Cook is a smokin' trumpeter who worked in the local chevy transmission plant.

Ray, I left town in 1980 for a gig with the Knoxville S.O., and have only been back sporadically for holiday visits. That 1 year stint teaching at BG was coming in from South Bend. Didn't have as much time to hang with Jeff as I would have liked.

Bill Hones

19. megan

megan

Feb 29, 2004
    LA, CA
    Thank you, Paul!
    I see the hope now~ :hyper:

20. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I believe he actually sold Delco/GM batteries.