Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech21 VT Settings Database

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Robert Sjea, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Robert Sjea

Robert Sjea

Mar 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    Anyone care to submit their VT settings along with description and pertinent variables (passive/active, other effects, etc.)

I just switched from an Ampeg V4b to a Markbass with VT and I'm already missing the natural overdrive that the V4b breathed out so easily. Admittedly, I haven't played around with the VT enough to find what I'm looking for and I've been changing too many pieces of equipment lately to find my tone.

Thom Brady was good enough to send me his John Wetton settings:
    Level: to taste
    Mid: 1:00
    Character: 10:00
    Drive: 2:00
    Low: 12:00
    High: 12:30

Thanks,
    robert

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Level: to taste
    Mid: 2:30
    Character: 10:00
    Drive: 12:00
    Low: 3:00
    High: just a hair past full counter clockwise

3. Low 12.30
    Mid 2.00
    High 10.30
    Character 10.30
    Drive 11.00

Real punchy with a bit of breakup.

4. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Mid : 12:00 - 10:30
    Char: 9:30-10:30
    Drive: 12:00
    Low: 10:30
    High: 10:20

Bit of breakup fatness.

I'm finding the Character knob is more like the real mid control, like Jimmy said.
    After 12:00 the sound gets thinner. Too much drive and it almost sounds like it could be another pedal IMO. I can't tell much difference between heavy distortions.

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    can i request anyone that might have found a setting that is close to the Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp tone? super-fat and with ultra-mid-warmth

6. Forgot to add,i use a LMII with matching 4x10 and the VLE set at 9.30 and a Boss Limiter/Enhancer in front of it.

7. Right now I'm running mine:

Bass: 1:00
    Mids: 11:30
    Treble: 12:30
    Character: 12:30
    Drive: 1:00

Sounds huge and angry, with a just slightly scooped tone, but more than enough punch to cut through a couple of heavy guitars in my post-hardcore band. It adds a lot of punch and clarity to my other drives, especially my Hematoma.

My Signal Path:

Bass -> Symetrix 501 compressor -> Tuner -> Boss NS-2 -> Digitech BSW -> Digitech EX-7 -> HBE Hematoma (Set for moderate overdrive) -> VT -> Back into the NS-2 -> Visual Sound H2O -> Aphex Bass Xciter -> ART Tube Pac (running hard, but not distorting) -> Kustom Groove 1200 effects return -> One or two Tech21 B410 cabs

Bassmike62 likes this.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    turn all the knobs to about 11 and fiddle with them until you get your sound.

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

I'll add mine tonight, but honestly... 'for me' 11:00 seems to be around the sweet spot for most of the knobs. Definitely between 11:00 and 1:00 for the Bass/Mid/Treble.

One thing to keep in mind... a lot of these settings depends on how hot your input is coming into the VT. The VT can be sensitive regarding what drives it into overdrive, or what doesn't. Often a fine line from bass to bass to bass.

10. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Are these settings for a particular amp, overdrive, distortion, just tone, all the above or none of the above. I have one in transit and this would definitely be a great source once it arrives. I purchased mine more for amp modeling as the original thread seemed to be geared toward. We'll see.

11. No, really - just fiddle with the knobs until it sounds good. These presets mean nothing when your bass and amp will be different to whoever posted it.

12. i try to imitate a desirable SVT tone with mine.
    the suggested settings help to put you in the direction but depending on your bass and amp, etc some tweaking of the settings is required.
    here's my current SVT setting which i like for playing with pick:

Level: 11
    Mid: 10-11
    Character: 9
    Drive: 10-11
    Low: 11
    High: 12

The VT bass EQ cuts/boosts at 40khz, 500khz,4khz.
    I like to put my sadowsky preamp pedal after the VT with the 2 band EQ at 9.
    That gives me a a slight boost at 50khz and 5khz which makes the VT sound clearer and bigger in the mix (like ultra hi and ultra low).

In the end, it sounds good to my ears so thats all that matters :)

Bassmike62 likes this.
  13. has anybody with a vt bass been able to get anywhere close to the clean tone that justin chancellor (tool) uses on their 10,000 days album? ive heard it out of a gt-2 and a landmark 300 head, and since theyre all made by the same company i figure it shouldnt be impossible. im talking like when the guitars drop out during the verse of 'vicarious'. a little bit of grit, but not enough to be considered an overdrive. can any of you vt bass owners tell me if you can get something close to that? not owning one of these pedals myself, i dont know exactly what knobs to turn, but if i can get that tone (or close to it), ill be sold on one of these
    thanks!

14. The Gt-2 is more for guitar than bass, the 300 head is more like the bass driver DI. The VT pedal does "THE Ampeg tone" better than anything designed by tech 21 before, and imho can do justin's clean tone. Here is a clip of some of the things the VT pedal can do (of course only you can decide if it is going to work for you or not) hope it helps! Cheers.

15. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I did a clip with the gain cranked for a real dirty/gritty OD sound: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7316720

So back off the gain and you could get such a tone.

16. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Can the VT Bass get a grind-OD type sound? If so, I might run it with my GeminiDrive so it's not as crisp.

17. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Not necessarily a setting, but...

I've found that my Micro Q-tron sounds MUCH better when placed AFTER my VT in my effects chain (I guess this isn't applicable if you're running it as a pre in your Return). When it was placed before it, the infamous spike in volume (or just the dynamics of the pedal) would make the VT overdrive on certain notes. cool if that's what you want, but I didn't want it.

18. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I have a question. I'm a fan of a scooped mid sound, specifically -12dB @ 500 Hz. So on this pedal, I'd turn the mid all the way down (counter-clockwise), correct?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep. Mid knob is 500.

20. Depending on where you have the Character knob set, you may not want to drop the mids all that much.