1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Techies! Hypothetical PC build

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IconBasser, Sep 26, 2010.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    hey everyone! I'm considering the idea of building a new PC. I've compiled a list of products that as far as I can tell work together nicely, but I'd greatly appreciate it if some of you guys could look em over to make sure I haven't missed anything.

(Revised List)

Motherboard
    Processor
    CPU fan
    Video Card
    RAM
    Hard Drive
    Power Supply
    DVD Burner
    Case

I've already got peripherals, and can find a used lcd monitor on the cheap. Have I forgotten anything?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    OS?

Also, check for similar bargains at Dell. Last time I bought a computer, I couldn't get the parts for cheaper than a cheap Dell.

3. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    You haven't forgotten anything, but that CPU fan you have on your wish list isn't necessary. The CPU cooling that comes with the AMD chips are pretty good.

Also what are you going to be using the card for?

4. Dell...
    :spit:

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That RAM won't work with that motherboard. You need DDR3. Also get 4 gigs minimum.

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    good catch, I thought it said DDR2 upon first glance.
    as for the fan, the ambient temperature in the room that it'll be in is usually 85+ degrees, and I don't want anything frying.

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  8. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
  9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    what, the video card? gaming. I want to be able to run Bad Company 2 on at least medium. My current compy (toshiba laptop) can't even launch the game...

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Yea I meant to say the computer, but you got the gist.

That card should do you well, even though I'm an nVidia guy myself, I've built comps for people with ATI cards and they've worked just fine. +1 though to getting more ram, you're gonna want at least 4 gigs, and preferably in a 2x2gb configuration to allow for expansion later.

11. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I would go for at least a quad core if you are going to be using it for gaming. that cpu is not very good at all, and you are just going to end up upgrading in 6 months. you should be spending more on your cpu than you are spending on your mobo IMO.

BC2 is also very cpu intensive, I noticed a huge jump in performance on it going from dual core 3 GHz to a quad 3 GHz.

I also am running a ati 5850.

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Meh, I was running BC2 on a dual 2.8GHz system with an nVidia 9600GT and ran at medium settings just fine. It wasn't omg amazingly awesome graphically, but it still looked pretty god and got the job done. I was also running Star Craft II with the same right +4 gigs of ram at high settings I think. THAT is a pretty game.

13. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
  14. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    4gb of ram has already been added to the list, so I think I'm set. Now I just need to wait for a few more paychecks to roll in :smug:

15. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  16. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    alright, it's educate a noob time. Besides the gb, what makes RAM good or bad?

17. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    In this particular case, the brand name and the timings. The timing is actually not much different than what you had chosen, but Mushkin is pretty much one of the elite memory makers. A Data...well...I've never heard of them! It's probably fine, but why take a chance?

Of course there is also chip quality to consider.

Anything G.Skill, Mushkin, GEIL, Kingston, or Corsair is going to be top notch.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What OS are you going to run?

-Mike

19. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Windows 7, not sure which one.

20. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I think everything is good.. Btw, why not invest for a blu ray player? *assuming you don't have a player*

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021