1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Technical ???

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Tbfus, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Tbfus

Tbfus Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I've got a DTR 2000 Tuner, A GK MB 800 bass head and a direct Box. What is the best way to hook this up. I've tried a few different ways but TFOH guys still gets my signal when I'm tuning. I don't have to tune very often during a set, but if its cold or real hot I may have to tune up once a set or at least check it and I can't do it because he is still getting my signal.
    I don't have to use the direct box and that takes care of the issue because I can just run direct out of the amp, but for some reason he wants the direct box.
    Thanks

2. Well, if he’s any kind of a sound man he should know that you can’t turn off the signal if you’re using a direct box! Not much you can do about it with a rack mounted tuner (at least that I know of), except unplug the mic cable from the direct box when you go to tune. Alternately, you could get a stomp-box tuner that would connect in front of the direct box.

I can understand the soundman’s desire to use a direct box, since often an amp’s direct outs aren’t very clean, and/or include the effect of the tone controls. It would be smart if more manufacturers had a back-panel switch to make the direct out a straight output.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dump the rack tuner and get a good pedal tuner, which will act as a mute switch while tuning.

4. If FOH doesn’t mute your channel you’ll need to bypass the DI (unplug it) when tuning.

5. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    Don't hot-patch (or unpatch) a D.I.

6. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    How about a Snark clamp on tuner, (and the volume control on your bass)? I have a Boss pedal tuner that allows more precision, but I have a few Snark tuners, and they are accurate, and easy to read. (I like the red one the best). If you do use a clamp on tuner, please remove it from your head stock when you are not using it, because it just bothers me to look at it clamped to your beautiful bass while you play, OK?

7. With the OP's tuner - if the FOH insist on a DI there is no way around it, and after the OP pops the subs a couple of times maybe it will wake up the soundman so he’ll start muting the bass channel when he/she hears the OP tuning and then the OP wouldn't need to bypass it.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How 'bout show up without the DI one night and have a real conversation with the sound guy. Run out of the back of your head and then ASK HIM what kind of tone he needs from you. You will have to compromise "your tone" on stage for something he can use out front.

I am a sound guy also. I'm not like this but most insist on a DI because the tone coming from your amp (that may sound amazing on stage) sounds like crap out front. But if you are willing to send him something he can use (which will generally be a bit brighter than most like on stage) then you two can work this out without the DI.

9. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    @twofingers I have recently been using a pedal board. How do you handle FOH in that situation? Clean signal, effected signal, blend? Thanks.

10. Tbfus

Tbfus Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Figured it out. Running out of the direct out on the amp and out of the input of the Korg. Can use the mute whenever and it's just fine.
    By the way, I've got a stomp box tuner but I like the Korg. To each his own. Thanks again for the consideration!

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    He can do the same thing with the DTR-2000, so if he likes having a racked tuner(like I do), there is no benefit to buying a pedal tuner in this case...

Regarding the OP - you can run into the tuner, from there into the DI, then into your amp - and hit the mute button on the front of your tuner when you want...

- georgestrings

12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hmmm ... according to the block diagram he could simply take a pre-EQ/volume feed off the built in DI. If a sound man can't deal with that, he ain't much of a sound man. I'd dig my heels in ...

13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1. Disaster averted...

14. george beat me to it again!