Telecaster Bass: curing "Mudbucker Syndrome"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The DarkStars may not be your visual cup of tea, but they sound waaay better than the stock pickup...at least to me, ymmv, etc.

Covers reversed: yeah, the Tele came that way, and the nitro is faded to match, so, too late to change. The other one is like that so they're the same. Whatev;)

2. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Chef: any chance you could shoot a new solo pic of the Tele bass? I want to nominate it for the Best Looking Bass thread :)

c-

3. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    sure, just a sec...

4. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    With the addition of the LaBella black tapes, this is now one of the most requested basses I own, and I like it too;)

tele.jpg

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The blk tapes and black guard look sly and smooth! I like the DS pup as well.

6. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The black tapes give it a really smooth, fat, organic sound with plenty of clarity on top. Awesome.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Just a brief and unfortunately really really sad update for everyone who requested news on my Mudbucker equipped aluminium made TeleLan bass which I showed some in progress work back in this thread.

The bass has been completed and it's a real jewel. My friend Mr. Lanfranco who used to build these basses unfortunately passed away during the month of august, this year. Not only I lost a friend, but also a really passionate and talented builder. I treasure and play my TeleLan bass which is so good sounding.

Together with friends of Lanfranco, other lucky owners and players of TeleLan basses we put together a small googlepages website in order to collect picture of the works of Lanfranco and give some information about. It's a small thing, easy as Lanfranco was, nothing fancy.

If you are interested please take some minutes to visit this:

http://sites.google.com/site/larrybrush/home/english-page

8. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    that is sad news! thanks for posting that page; its cool!

9. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Had a couple people asking me about this project, so, I'm bumping it up for easy reference for tonight.

10. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    i was just asking about a tele today ..im gassing and i really wanted a darkstar in it..alas i want a 5 string and there is no darkstar to accomidate me so im S.O.L..nice bass

11. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    yeah... the elusive 5 sting DarkStar...

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Last week i lucked into a 73 telecaster. I know all about the mudbucker etc and spent a good deal of time EQing my rig to get a decent tone. I as of now have not giged or even played it in a band setting but belive i will like it as is. I get a creamy tone with some tone dialed in and with tone off and a set of Chrome's a good to decent P bass tone..dark and muddy but there is definition. I play Americana,Folk rock where i try to sound uprightish. I feel this bass will do the trick. Besides its my first vintage Fender which is a dream and like Chefs light, and the neck is awsome. It is a true relic and i am proud to add it to the lineup.

13. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Seriously, I'm wanting to build a bass almost exactly like this. Sherwood green, 70s p/g, Dark Star in the neck, and the bridge. Probably gonna use a BA III.

Beautiful bass.

14. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I currently have a Squier TB bass and I was thinking of adding another "mudbucker" to where the bridge pickup is in a Jazz bass. Do you guys think this would be a wise decision and would it help fight the mud. (Which surprising isn't as bad as I read but the note definition would definitely be a plus.)

15. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yes! Fender's Masterbuilt line did a bass like that.

16. Mmh I'm GASin for a Fender humbucker like that. Not very muddy, from my recollection, just loud.

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    How about a 5er Chi Sonic?

Expensive, but then, so is a Darkstar.

18. IMHO, buying a '70's humbucker-equipped Tele and then not liking the mud (which I prefer to call "fat, warm lows") is bit like buying a Harley Electraglide and complaining it's a bit wobbly on a motocross track... :)

19. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    yep, and it is $6k. :eyebrow:

It is one of my favorite-looking basses (the Fender Masterbuilt), but I'd rather have the Darkstars, and it not be so freakin' expensive.

20. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    God chef! I'll take the mudbucker, iffa you don't like it :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021