1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me about Status basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sublab, Oct 1, 2012.

1. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira Inactive

Apr 29, 2012
    Definitely more modern than your PBass.
    Construction is top notch.
    Not everyone digs the graphite neck, though...

2. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Probably worth more then your Precision, and a nice looking bass to boot!

Rob and the kiddies at Status are great, and the basses are all well built. It will definitely sound more "modern" then your Precision. It will also really give you a whole new dimension in your playing.

3. Status basses are more modern sounding, and no dead spots or neck warping due to the carbon fibre neck, its like comparing a sports car and an old pick up truck, the Fender being the pick up truck, basic, mass produced, but will do the job, the Status is more versatile, heres a link to their site

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html

I had a Fender P when i was 15 and sold it ( and never missed it) I bought a Status when i was 25, had it for 17 yrs sold it due to hard times, if i hadn't discovered Dingwall basses i would have the Status back.

4. Oh, man. I would jump all over that in a trade. What year is your P-Bass? If you have an older one, I'd hesitate to just see what the value of yours is before takin' the leap. Otherwise, I'd snatch it up quick.

5. Oh, my P is 2 months old.
    I like the P, it's a good instrument, but it just don't do it for me, need more variety coming from my bass. This Status has 2 pickups and that's a pro, but I never played 5 strings before and have never even considered a 5... Will try her though!

6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The bold part is not necessarily accurate (I've played several graphite necks that have had dead spots) and the versatility part is debatable. I owned an S2 Classic for a while. It was very well built and had a neck that felt great to play. As much as I liked the way the bass sounded in my living room it didn't give me what I was looking for in a band context and I didn't like the mid frequency cut/boost. I also found the bass to be a bit heavy for my tastes.

7. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I will add that I was playing 4 string basses when I got my 5 string Status. It was a very easy 5 for me to play and made the transition from 4 to 5 practically effortless.

8. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira Inactive

Apr 29, 2012
    You can always remove one string or ignore it...

9. My Status Eclipse Ltd 5 string is the nicest graphite bass I have ever played! If you have played Modulus or Zon bass guitars? This will be a whole different level of craftsmanship in every way. I've noticed Status is not overly-modern sounding, and has a good amount of growl not normally associated with graphite. Mine came from a music store in Canada and was shipped in a cardboard box to California, it arrived in-tune!!!

10. Well, I'm meeting up with the guy to give the bass a try. 5 strings seems a bunch though. Keen to hear how it sounds, those 2 pickups and preamp.... Hope it will deliver a decent growl!

11. What would this bass be worth?

12. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    And th at would encourage neck twist. Graphite or not

13. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I can't give you a number but I've never seen a status go for under 1500

14. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Tough to say - probably more in Europe than in the U.K. or Europe in general. Keep in mind that Talkbass is overwhelmingly U.S. in its membership and Status basses are not very common or well-known in North America. So someone trying to sell their Status on TB might have to sell for less than the bass is actually `worth`in a manner of speaking. Have you checked out the Statii forum (question mark - sorry, French keyboard and I can`t figure out how to get a question mark out of it). It`s a forum for Status bass enthusiasts and you`ll probably find more useful information there than you will here regarding the bass in question.

15. It's supposed to be custom made but it looks like a headed S2, I guess.

16. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    If it's in good condition and reasonably priced - you should definitely go for it. They are fantastic basses and quite rare. I have a Status 5 string all graphite but I would love to own one of their graphite neck/wood body basses - best of both worlds perhaps?

17. This guy wants to trade his Status for my American Special Precision, which is brand new but only cost me 950 euro. He says he wants a Precision bad, and can't seem to get rid of the Status. If it's in good condition, and the pictures in the original post don't seem to reveal any apparent damage, I may just go for it.

18. Zon,Modulus Status.... light years beyond pBass. Don't get wrong,most of what I grew up on was played on a Jazz or P bass but they don't sit well in my hands. I have owned a few Mods and am now on my second Status. It is nothing but Status for me. BTW.. don't expect the Status to sound like a PBass and vice versa. Go with the Status.

19. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Is it a set neck (what Status calls a "through neck") or a bolt-on?