Tell me about Strobel Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by degroove, Feb 19, 2004.

1. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE

Rented an upright to see if I am digging playing. Gonna take lessons. The bass is a Strobel 3/4, most likely a MB-80 model.

I could go rent to buy for a total cost of $1,678! It seems like a nice bass, great setup, ebony, purfling, adjustable bridge, beautiful wood. It sounds WAYY better than the stupid STrunal I played at a local store.

The bassist who worked there stated that they were very nice basses and I was lucky to get that as a rental.

What do you know of these basses? All I found online are references to his which ssells books, not basses.

Thanks! Matt
  2. bassplayersdad

Jun 27, 2007
    Matt - or anyone - did you ever learn any more about the Stroebel MB-80? We're thinking of purchasing one for my son. It seemed like a very nice instrument when he played it at the store.

Opinions/info, anybody?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Carbonell
  3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Marc Piane here. Welcome.

I've got a few more friends to talk to before I can say for sure but sometimes the maker and the distributor are different entities. One of my basses says "made in germany expressly for..." on the label. From what I understand Stroebel was the name of a prestigious violin maker (someone please chime in if I am wrong.). Likely they are using that name so it is associated with Stroebel.

I suggest you ask to take the bass on loan and let me take a look at it (I am his son's teacher) before you buy. Any place should let you take it on loan for a small deposit or something.
  4. Hi Marc,

I've been searching around for any info on the Strobel MB80 Plywood bass, but haven't been able to find much (see my original post here). I have an opportunity to buy one and the photos I've seen make it look solid, but I'd love to get your thoughts.

Thank you so much for your time,
  5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Hey Rob. Couple questions. Do you have teacher or luthier or even knowledgable friend that could check it out? The most recent bass I bought I brought to my luthier before I plunked down the bread. Speaking of money... how much?

To me those are the most important when looking at beginner instruments. If it plays well and the price is low then I'd say go for it.