TF550 Cab Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Sep 22, 2005.

Which cab(s)

Poll closed Sep 27, 2005.
  1. Aguilar gs112

15 vote(s)
  2. Bag End s15d

12 vote(s)
  1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well after doing some research and filing through threads of great info.

I laned upon the thunderfunk, and don't get me wrong from what I've heard (basstasters) and read it is a great amp. The price I think is even very formidable.

Nevertheless I read about cabs to go with it. I read that accugrooves, bergies, aguilair, EA, and bag end are the tip top choices to use with the thunderfunk.

Well acuugroove, bergie and EA are little bit much for me, so I was wondering what you guys thought between 2 gs112 or 2 BE s15d(the ones with out the red thingy).

The things I like about the gs 112 are, portable, speakon, and front ported.

I like the BE for its super portability, but the lack of speakon drives me a little closer to the agi, also the BE is rear ported, I like front ported more than rear so thats that.

I also know I'll win either way I think, I know the BE 15'' are very articulate and fast for 15's.

I also know the agi 112 need a little bit of mid boost, but with the great EQ on the tfb550 that would more or less be irrelevent.

What do you guys think?

2. Personally, I would suggest the Accugroove TRI 210 or the El Whappo if you can handle the weight EVEN if you had to save a little longer to get it...BUT I voted for the Aggies in the poll.....I prefer the 12's over a 15 anyday and the aggie 12 is VERY good. You will get quite a bit more clarity from the Aggie than the BAg End though you will get more bottom from the BE...Just my opinion of course!!

3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well the bag end 15's are very articulate indeed.
    I found the Aggie 12's to be a little too scooped and mid lacking for me. But if you want that thicker 'gooey' sound, then they're great.

It's really just going to come down to you.. Both great choices.
  4. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    This is exactly what I want to know!!!

Tomixx I would think the opposite based on what I read in this forum. Most has espoused the articulate mids of the BE S15D but have switched to the aggies because of a lack of low end girth (to quote Joe the Mod). Others have switched from the aggies because they didn't put out the mids like the BE's and were not as loud.

To tell you all the truth, I'll jump on a pair of GS112's if I know three things.
    1) I won't get lost in the mix (I need those low mids!)
    2) the ability to get LOUD! (at least for small and medium sized clubs (remember I sold my 1210) and push some air
    3) Didn't wish I got the GS212 (though i'd throw this out there to see if people prefer two 112s versus a 212)

I'll jump on the BE s15D combo if they:
    1) have a prominent low mid presence and when coupled attain an acceptable low end.
    2) really do have that Loudness I'd expect from a 215, especially two BE cabs.
    3) Are a better choice for the single cab option and the stacked cab option than the Aggie gs112s pair overall.

now are the Aggies and Beg end's really apples and oranges or do they satisfy similar needs with slightly different tones.
    (e.g. small modular efficient two cab setup)

Oh yeah, these cabs are to be paired with the TFB550 as well.

5. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I've had the Aguilars and the Bag End and I am now using 2 Kappa loaded 1x15 Flite cabs and absolutely LOVE em. They are light, punchy, have great tone, and are louder than the Agi's and as loud as the Bag Ends. I've also had AccuGroove's, EA's, Bergs, Schroeders, and a ton of other cabs and I choose the Kappa loaded Flites!
  6. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    You Sir, are not making this any easier! :D

However, with that said - I shall check them out.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    For low-mids, the Schroeder 1210 or 1212 really pair up well with a Thunderfunk.
  8. +1 on the Schroeder 1210. That Ag 112 cab is really scooped sounding... one of my least favorite of the relatively high end cabs (of course, IMO... other people love them). A Schroeder1210 (if you like that low mid punch sound) will put out significantly more sound than two of the Ag112's. It also sounds wonderful with the Tfunk and many other heads. It's small, one piece, not featherlight (about 46 pounds), but puts out enough wump for all but the loudest gigs. An amazing combination.

Edit.... BASSJUNKIE...I just noticed you sold your 1210 because it was not loud enough?.... if that's the case, a pair of Ag112's will definitely not do it for you.... no way, no how :ninja:
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The Agie GS112 sounds very good matched up with a GS210.

Two BE S15-D (or one S15-D and one S12-D) will have more punch and articulation than two GS112.

The Schroeder 1210 is an amazing sounding cab when used in a band setting; great projection, low end, mids, cut-through tone, and very smooth treble -- any venue it wouldn't handle volume-wise, you'd probably have PA support anyway.

If finances are a major deal, the Agies and BE are probably easier to find 2nd hand, but you might get lucky on a Schroeder.
  10. Tommix
    Assuming you have your TRI210L.... tell me what you think MON.
  11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    This is what I think.

12. Even though those Ag's aren't my thing... that is a REALLY nice looking rig!
  13. I got a chance to test a Bag End S15XD and a Aguilar GS112 side by side. I used a Hartke 3500 to test them both and used the same EQ settings. I also used a HWY1 Jazz bass with the same eq settings. The cabs were the same price, but I went home with the Aguilar. I found the Bag End to be sterile sounding. I know a lot of people like that, but personally, I like an amp to bring out the best in my tone, and the Aguilar does that perfectly. In the S15XD's defense, it is smaller and lighter than the GS112. The GS is pretty chunky for being just a 1x12, but the tone is awesome.

Before you spend any money, you need to play both cabs. Put them through their paces and see which one you like the best. They are both quality setups.
  14. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Thenk Yew.

15. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

What case is that with the TF? Fits nice! Did you have to take out the rubber feet?
  16. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    That's my setup, too. Couldn't ask for more. I am a fingerstyle player and the tone of the Aggies suits me to a 't'. A pair is as loud as my 410/115 set up that I replaced with the GS112s. Soundman loves 'em.

17. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I think you have hit upon what the "Aggie lovers" love: that, warm, old-school, scooped-if you will-sound. If I were coordinated enough to 'slap' (I'm not, lol!), I might notice a shortcoming. For fingerstyle, IMHO, the Aggies rule!

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use my TFB 420 with a single Bag End coax 1-15 S15X-D every week on a smaller gig in DC. To say it kicks ass would be an understatement. That rig sounds like whatever I plug into it.

The GS112s are nice cabs (been there done that;)) but the BE is so much fuller sounding and doesn't break up like my GS112 did. An S15-D and S15X-D driven by the TF is a match made in heaven... if you like that knd of big, physical sound. It's also great at low volume.

It's so far from sterile IME it's not even funny. If I didn't use Nahas for my larger little rig I'd use them.

19. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

It's one of those shallow SKB X-rack things. It my the TFB420 perfectly.

Well...I don't think my TFB420 has feet. It is the 'rackmount' version.

Oh heck, gimme a sec and I will check.

Here's a pic.

It appears the amp came with only two feet. One in the upper left corner of the pic and one in the lower right corner of the pic. The one on the lower right is missing.

But they are not much as feet go. Only about 1/8" high. Maybe not original?

20. Is there enough space in the back of the rack for cable storage, etc. I have mine in a standard SKB 2 space rack. It would be great to fit it in the small one. How much room is there between the back of the amp and the rear cover?