1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thanks Talk Bass!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FranksCopula, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Awesome.

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Don't know why but I've always been one to carry anything I might need when I play out. Over the years I've even endured ribbing about being a boy scout because I'm always prepared.

I have on occasion had the opportunity to turn the tables on my tormentors however. One might ask me for something they should have and I get to tell them I might be a boy scout but I ain't yer den mother so you need to find your own spare 9V battery. I then (of course) hand them MY spare 9V with a warning that this is the last time I'll cover THEIR ass 5 minutes before we start the first set.

It's my responsibility to not be a problem to the rest of the band by being prepared, but it is not my responsibility to enable my lazy band mates. I tried it early on and all it got me was lugging a ton of crap for them because they expected me to have it rather than handling it on their own.

I will be happy to serve as a (good) example of how to be prepared for playing out, but I decided long ago I won't be the one who makes it possible for lazy people to continue by expecting me to see to details they should be tending to.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm the same way. Ive learned that you can never be over prepared. I have a bag that I put tools, strings, cables (quarter inch and speakon), batteries and any other thing you can think of. Even picks, and I dont even use picks but on very rare occasions. I like the fact I have all these things at my disposal, its better than not having them. Sometimes it stinks to have the extra bag but its worth it to me.

4. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Definitely good to be prepared with extra stuff. Saving the gig as opposed to packing it in and calling it quits; awesome.

Now, if I can just figure out how to get a fearful and extra SX bass in my bag.

5. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    I use a TC Helicon Intelligent Harmonizer. I always carry a spare jumper cable to go from the mic to the box. And it's bright orange so I know it when I see it, 99% of the time. I also carry extra stage plots and business cards. It seems you can always send a plot to a sound company, but they can never get it to the venue or to the stage manager.

6. I've all ways carried batteries, extra cables, picks, strings etc. I've even had a spare combo amp just in case. The only thing extra I can think of are small LED Flashlights now that's something that has realy come in handy.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    If someone ever asks me "Whats in your Gig bag" ... a spare instrument cable and a bottle of Petron.