1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thanks Talk Bass!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FranksCopula, Oct 23, 2013.

1. FranksCopula

FranksCopula

Feb 23, 2013
    It's know it's been discussed here a few times, but I am one of those folks that carries an array of extra stuff in my overstuffed book bag "just in case," mainly after reading about it here.

I don't sing, but had a gig saving XLR cable in my bag recently. Also had an 1/8" to 1/4" that saved us when we had to play house music from an iPhone between sets. I've also lent stuff from my bag to other bands on the bill to help them get through a gig.

I also carry extra cables, strings (even guitar), batteries, Allan wrenches, screwdrivers, flashlights, etc ... I always want to be as self sufficient as possible to cover any potential issue.

So, Thanks Talks Bass for suggesting it. :)

Anything glaring I'm missing that should be in my arsenal?

For those that don't, consider it. Sometimes it's the little things outside all of our amazing bass playing talent that lands the gig or makes us stand out.

Mike

2. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    its always great to be prepared.

if your guitarists are anything like mine, you should throw a box of picks in there. i cant tell you how many times my guitarists have shown up to a gig without a pick.

3. I have saved the gig several times w/something from my *magic giggity bag*... Sharpies, band aids, Mydol, cough drops, breath mints, picks, bass and guitar strings, cords, adapters, fingernail clippers, emery boards, corkscrew, bottle openers, lighter, matches... and MUCH more

4. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Drumkey, tuner, a few sets of disposable ear plugs you can give out, picks, guitar & bass strings, superglue, bandaids, antacid, lighter, clean hand towel, cash, wire cutters, surgical gloves, rubber tubing & clamps, scalpel, alternate passport, oh wait I'm confusing with my other hobby. It always seems the bass player is the bearer of sundries.

5. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I always pack a box of 9-Volts.

6. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    I, too have a Great Big Black Bag that contains virtually everything in the universe.

And I often have packed guitar strings as well as picks. My drummer is Mr. Reliable and Organized (like, way way more organized than me) so I don't ever have to cover for him.

Sometimes I have actually brought a whole extra six-string guitar (my JPB strat clone). I usually only have to pull that out once to get my guitarist to bring his own backup, because I only use it to goof off on it is set up with action like a bass player likes, with nice old, tacky-feeling strings. Most guitarists pick it up and immediately recoil at the playability.

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Definitely strings. Soldering iron and solder. I've seen wiring harness repairs during a gig mentioned a few times.

8. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Carrying a 12 ax7 isn't a bad idea. Maybe even a can of Deoxid.

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I found this interesting. In so many ways it seems that the bassist is expected to cover for the guitarist.

10. Same here. I think my guitarist owes me $20 worth of picks. AND he borrows my acoustic amp every time he has a solo acoustic gig.

11. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Gaffer's tape!!!

I've always carried a crash kit as well, and it contains just about everything the OP - and everyone else - has mentioned, but gaffer's tape is the most sought-after item every time.

While we're on the topic; can we please just have a moratorium on "Hey, can I 'borrow' a...."?? To the members of other bands who need a string, the guitarists who need a pick or a 9V, the poor and tired and unprepared.... you're not "borrowing" it. I know I'm not getting it back. It's cool. Don't worry about it. Yes, you can have a D-string.

12. livingstone

livingstone

Jun 15, 2007
    Oneonta NY
    +1 on the XLR cables

I often get, "Oh, you're going to have to play louder I guess. I can't plug you into the system; I just ran out of mic cables."

13. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Extra capo.

Not really an obvious choice, but I can't begin to count the times our guitar player forgot his capo.
    A decent quality one preferably, since the cheap ones can make the guitar go out of tune if it's not carefully applied.

14. A small eyeglass screwdriver, and an extra hat.

15. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

HA! I had this happen 2 weekends ago. Only, it wasn't cables he ran out of, rather XLR inputs. All he had were 1/4" inputs left. I had an XLR cable, but I didn't have a XLR-1/4" cable. :spit:

Amazon should be delivering my 30' XLR - 1/4" in the next day or so.

16. FranksCopula

FranksCopula

Feb 23, 2013
    Awesome stuff, I forgot about the capo, that's come up a few times (why the hell would I have a capo?!? :) ).

Follow up question, how do you store everything? I have an old backpack from my college days but it's getting pretty stuffed and unorganized. I've considered a tool box or small rolling luggage. I was even thinking something ridiculous like a briefcase.

Mike

17. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
    Harbor Freight Tools is your friend.

image_21232.

18. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
    Holy Stooooopid Huge Pics Batman!

Sorry.

19. skychief