Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the all inclusive "Garry Goodman" thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Feb 1, 2004.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  2. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    good read... I would love to hear how he plays the harmonics... I understand completely the concept, but have not played around with putting it into any sort of practical use. I just used my artificial harmonics ideas from violin, transfered them to bass, i.e. the jaco "fretting with first, harmonic on fourth" idea, then realized that tapping the string at the harmonic intervals will produce new tones and harmonics not possible elsewhere... I only heard of GG a few weeks ago when the whole multistring fiasco went down, but am I understanding that he is saying he created this technique or he is just the best at playing it at this point?

3. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks for the interview, the guy's pretty interesting...

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

When was that recording made? World's only seven string bass player? :rolleyes:

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Good interview. I have always been interested in Gary's approach to the bass. It is incredibly unique. His technique shows just how versatile the "bass instrument" can be.

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    It's just tapped harmonics haha. Oh well, that's still a really cool bass.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Bassists...

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Just read the interview. Where is this statement made?

EDIT: OK. The DJ said it in the audio clip. DJs are almost never very informed on fringe issues.

As far as the tapped harmonics, Eddie Van Halen did an absolutely beautiful intro to a song on "Van Halen II" (1979). I think the song was "Women In Love" were he explained in interviews that he tapped (right hand) a mixture of 5ths and octaves while fretting the actual notes with the left hand. It's so clean and well executed it sounds almost like an orchestral harp.

9. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Andy Summers also does this a good bit, as does Steve Howe... are we totally missing the boat here or is this technique something different? gary?

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I think the technique Andy Summers and Steve Howe do is more the harmonics of touching the string with one finger (or thumb) of the right hand and plucking the string with another finger of the same hand to sound the harmonic, in concert with wherever the left hand is fretting to produce harmonics not found on open strings.

I know Gary uses this technique also, but I was refering to "tapping" the strings (Van Halen) quickly at the predetermined frets with the right hand while fretting appropriately with the left hand.

Both techniques DO work on bass quite well with some practice.

(Sorry if this makes no sense to you Southpaws ;) )

11. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I am refering to the same thing... I have a vid of andy from the late 70s doing this with the police... tapping and octave above the fretted note to get a percussive sound... Im assuming gary does this at the other intervals also.

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm a huge Police fan and have all the live concert videos and documentaries I know to exist. I've never seen Andy tap, but I have seen him use the pluck behind the right hand finger touch harmonic several times. He touches with the right index finger and plucks behind it with his right thumb. You almost can't see his thumb the way he does it.

Many parts that sound like overdubbed guitar notes on Police material are actually Andy holding the previous chord out with the left hand while sounding notes, using this technique, with his right using 1-3 strings.

13. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Ill check my vids again... but why when this is described can I see them doing it in my head... are we saying that Andy or Steve NEVER tapped on thier guitars around a harmonic interval to produce a harmonic?

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Can't comment on Steve Howe. As far as Andy, never is a little strong. I just don't recall ever seeing him tap. I have, however, seen him use the touch/pluck right hand harmonic technique a lot.

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I met Garry about 4 years ago, a really nice guy. He is basically a friend of a friend. He gave about five of us a lesson on how he plays his Fender Bass VI. Awesome player, playing bass lines, chords and melodies all at the same time.

16. Hey Garry!

Just got back in town and saw your interview on bassinside.com. So they're keeping the February issue up another month?--pretty cool!

Roy

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  19. Cool tunes!

I am interested in hearing more about Gary's usage of "Percussive Harmonics". Is this the technique that I am hearing in the first 4 bars of "Can I Keep This Dream"?

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    On the track Haleaka Garry is using Percussive Harmonics.he's also using Percussive Harmonics on the track Can I keep this dream along with Alex Acuna on Cajon.