The Basses of Mark Hoppus - A Guide

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Odinbass, Jul 7, 2016.

1. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    It's one of the first of his signature basses after the changes (neck, Fender logo, body being changed from alder to ash, and of course the pickup position change). He used it with +44 and I think it was in the music video for 155.

IMO I prefer the road worn sunburst with the black pickguard to this one. I wish his signature was available in sunburst but I don't see that happening, and I think when he eventually gets a signature Jaguar, the P will be discontinued.

He used both +44 basses with blink-182 a few years ago but left them octopus-less.

2. aah_scary

aah_scary

Nov 4, 2016
    West Sussex
    [​IMG]

Possibly the greatest bass face ever?

Odinbass likes this.
  3. chumbo73

chumbo73

Nov 8, 2012
    Love those Stingrays

Odinbass likes this.
  4. kiripunk

kiripunk

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples (ITALY)
    Nice thread. BTW, aside from other "signature" models (only different in color) he also has a Taylor acoustic bass he used to record "I miss you". Besides, he used it live with +44.

5. SohnnyJoto

SohnnyJoto

Dec 24, 2017
    Hey new to the forum here. I actually own the blue Fender p-bass he used in 1999, even used in the All the small things video ! Even came with the purple strap he always used with it :thumbsup:

Aiden1382 and highboltage55 like this.
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Pics?

Oh, and welcome :)

7. SohnnyJoto

SohnnyJoto

Dec 24, 2017
    I believe i am only the 3rd owner. And ive had this baby for 6 years now, crazy all i did was find someone selling it on ebay for only $1k. Its a really great piece of history

Attached Files:

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Very cool! That song was definitely a part of my formative years. Pretty sweet you own a piece of music history!

9. If you ever wanted to part with that P Bass, I would take it off your hands! Nice!

SohnnyJoto likes this.
  10. SohnnyJoto

SohnnyJoto

Dec 24, 2017
    More images of Mark with the bass, back in blink's prime era. (Also in the ATSM music video)

Attached Files:

11. SohnnyJoto

SohnnyJoto

Dec 24, 2017
    I always wish i could have found this one, jazz body with the Pbass pickups and single knob, the fish fret inlays, would be incredible to find that one. Wonder if he still has it?

Attached Files:

12. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Of the Mark Hoppus custom P-Basses that red signature version 1 with the fish inlays is my favorite. He had it in the Adam's Song video.

Just speculating but I would guess he still has it. Why? Because I THINK that was his first custom Fender. If you watch the Urethra Chronicles video, there's a very short clip of him showing it off. That video was produced in 1999 (released in November) and he used regular P-basses until very late in 1999. It's reasonable to believe the red one was his first. Although it's possible Fender made him the red, seafoam green, and sonic blue ones all at the same time.

SohnnyJoto likes this.
  13. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    OP here. Mark put this up on instagram. Best shot yet of his first bass, the Mako.

BEF672B6-6DF8-4204-8B4E-83BF8C4CEE98.jpeg

Attached Files:

sgtpepper likes this.
  14. kiripunk

kiripunk

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples (ITALY)
    The "Camp" Signature, with a plaid like paintjob:

[​IMG]
    SOLD (via Reverb)

1972 Precision

[​IMG]

SOLD (via Reverb)

NASH PB-63

[​IMG]

SOLD (via Reverb, currently on sale by the new owner)

First Octopus Natural Signature Bass
    [​IMG]

SOLD (via Reverb)

Late '90s/Early '00s American Standard/American Series Precision (customize with SPB-3, pearloid pickguard and tone knob removed)

[​IMG]

Recently on tour for the "Enema of the state" part of their setlist (20th Anniversary)

Odinbass likes this.
  15. kiripunk

kiripunk

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples (ITALY)
    Nice piece, always wondered how is the color called by Fender. Is that a custom one or one American Standard Precision had in its lineup at the time.

16. kiripunk

kiripunk

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples (ITALY)
    A closer look to his American Standard. "Petey" as Mark calls it.

[​IMG]

17. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    I wonder if he left that bass at home after they started touring for Enema. I never saw him with it. He had a blue Pbass he was always shown with but I never saw that sunburst before he went to the custom model.

18. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Neat read. This thread brought back good memories of the early 2000's for me. Blink 182 always reminds me of 2 of my 4 kickass sisters, they really got into Blink.

I'm not a super fan, but I appreciate a lot of what they did. I did particularly enjoy the Mark Tom and Travis show. Sounded so energetic, and in my opinion, has the best recording of Adam's Song.

kiripunk likes this.
  19. kiripunk

kiripunk

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples (ITALY)
    The sunburst bass is the same from the "Stay together for the kids" video. Plus he's been touring recently with the very same bass. The blue P was posted not long ago from a TBer, he owns it! ;)

20. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Oh I forgot it was in the Stay Together video.

I was just saying it’s interesting he recorded Enema with that bass but didn’t take it on tour immediately afterward.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021