The Basses of Mark Hoppus - A Guide

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Odinbass, Jul 7, 2016.

1. SohnnyJoto

SohnnyJoto

Dec 24, 2017
    Found an old photo i took of the placid blue P-bass next to my polar white TF strat:

Attached Files:

Odinbass and sgtpepper like this.
  2. SohnnyJoto

SohnnyJoto

Dec 24, 2017
    TD*

3. Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I couldn't resist throwing in my $0.02.

I'm fairly certain that a few of the songs on Enema were recorded with a Stingray, namely Dumpweed, Party Song and Adam's Song. You can find the isolated bass track to Adam's Song on YouTube and it definitely has that sizzly top end that's characteristic of MM basses.

Another fun tidbit for you guys is that Mark said on a reddit AMA that the reason he switched from Rays to Fenders was that he loved the way the intro to What's My Age Again sounded on a Precision and fell in love with them from then on!

Anyway, thanks for posting this, OP! Great thread

Aiden1382 likes this.
  4. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH

Wow you are totally correct on the Stingray. I listened to those isolated tracks. Unmistakable Stingray-with-a-pick clank. Thanks for the info! I knew he had the 'Rays at that time but didn't know if they made the cut on the album. Guess they did.

Aiden1382 likes this.
  5. Thanks for posting this.

6. Found this photo of Mark playing a blue stingray with white pearloid pickguard. I just got a SBMM Stingray Shorty with a similar PG and trying to turn it into this bass by looks only. Just need the olympic white sbmm Stingray and swap the necks to complete the look. CFEF91E1-ED06-4819-BC5D-8C14259964CA.jpeg 7CA7C12A-BCEE-4206-80C6-69B22669BFDF.jpeg

7. delorean182

delorean182

Jan 22, 2020
    Hey Johnny right? I was the dude that sold you this bass on eBay years ago for around $1k. I said in my listing as well as I told you it MIGHT be Mark's. I had no proof of that and there were a few small details that made me believe it may have not been so that's why I sold it for what it is worth. I love the story and hope it is but please don't sell this to someone else claiming it is the one without proof.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  8. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    OP again. My original image links are falling apart so I made this collage.

Untitled.jpg

sgtpepper and Aiden1382 like this.
  9. SohnnyJoto

SohnnyJoto

Dec 24, 2017
    Oh hey man long time no see! Never thought i'd hear from you again, but i dont remember anywhere being stated it might not have been Mark's? Come to think of it i was only 14 at the time (my family had helped me purchase it) so i may have overlooked some of those details. Oops :crying: but i am curious what were the implications that made you think it was not his?

10. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    OP here. Just wanted to confirm Mark definitely had a GREEN Stingray during their 1998 tours. There are one or two photos of it on the internet. However most photos/vids of that time show the blue and orange Stingrays, so I wasn’t sure if the green one was borrowed or what.

In the video below he brings it out to show he still has it. Pretty cool if you are into the subject matter of this thread.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Aiden1382 likes this.
  11. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    And OP again. Another Blink gem unearthed. The band playing at SOMA in 1994. Previously the earliest footage available was 1995. This shows Mark playing his black Precision bass. And it is VERY clear in the mix. After watching this my respect for his playing went up a notch. He was an extremely fast player back then.

jmattbassplaya and Aiden1382 like this.
  12. xday32x

xday32x

May 31, 2021
    I just saw a pic of the green stingray very recently. Never knew he had it. Definitely appears to be in the time just before Enema came out
    Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 7.30.04 PM.png

Aiden1382 likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021