Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best bassplayer for Prince.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blazer, May 20, 2005.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay then, we all know that the royal badness is a killer bassplayer in his own right but lets not forget that his bassplayers were no slouches either, THEY have to learn how to play whatever Prince came up with and get used to his extended Jams and sudden song changes.

Let me list them.

1.Andre Cymone - The Revolution
    2.Brown Mark - The Revolution
    3.Levi Seacer - The New Power Generation
    4.Sonny T - The New Power Generation
    5.Rhonda Smith - The New Power Generation

I know I left Larry Graham out but he wasn't a permanent member of Prince's band.

well then let's debate on what was their prime Prince moment...

2. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I don't know about the rest of those guys, as you say, they've got to be great to be playing with Badness.
    I believe Larry Graham is now a relatively permanent member of Prince's touring group.
    I've seen Prince live three times, and, for some reason, the bassist I most remember is Lisa. She played a standup electric, and she has some chops!!!
    In my opinion, Prince's most creative period was the early and mid eighties i.e. 1999 & Purple Rain.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Prince has said on many occaision that Brown Mark was the best bassist he'd ever had.

4. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    1.andre left princes band really before he blew up but he produced jody watleys solo stuff and did a great job on that 2.i saw the purple rain tour in '84 (im old)and brown mark was amazing,very funky with a rock edge.perfect imo for princes music live at the time.3.levi was a transitional guy never really know that much about him 4.sonny t was a guy that prince looked up to growing up around minn,he is one of the few bassist who played his own style complety while working with prince but i hated that version of NPG,too much bad rapping 5. first of all princes best looking bass player but she plays princes music live as well or better than anybody else witch is interesting when you hear her own solo stuff and find out she has mad jazz fusion chops but lays in the pocket

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I was under the impression that Prince handled most of the bass duties himself, at least on records.

6. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Brown Mark, who was Mark Brown was from here in Minnesota, I went to jr high and high school with him, and yes he could play, I remember he did a jam on the hit song by the group Pleasure called GLIDE, which has bass for days, and he tore it up, this was in high shool before he Joined Prince. from what I understand, prince heard about him or seen him, I cant remember exactly and had him audition and he got the part, I thought that was kool. I dont know where he is now, I used to see him from time to time, but I have not seen him in years :meh:

7. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Since we are on the subject, why does he go through so many different musicians, am I missing something or is this normal???? and these guys/gals are good!!!!

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Different flavors are brought by different musicians. Prince is one of those guys that likes to sound different from project to project.

Example, just look at his latest live video with Rhonda Smith and the guy who SMOKES on sax, then imagine those tunes played with the original "Revolution" lineup. It would sound much, much different.

9. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I've got a live cut of "Musicology", and Rhonda just absolutely KILLS it. Her tone is amazing, and her feel is funky funky FUN-KAY. The whole band is great, actually, and they do a nice little quote of "Tighten Up" in the middle of the tune.

Prince has had great players, no doubt, but I also think he's so charismatic and musically, well, powerful, that he makes everyone around him better in a sublime kind of way. Kinda like a musical Magic Johnson or something!

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Although I have not liked all of his recordings, I am so awed by Prince's ability as a musician that words can't convey my feelings. If Prince were "only" a bassist, he would be awesome, if he were only a singer, keyboardist, guitarist, etec. he would be awesome. Any musician who can hang with him has my utmost respect.

11. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    All of the above on the list are great players! the one I liked the best with Prince was Levi Seacer. He played his booty off when I saw him with the Power Generation.

12. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    +1

13. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I thought Levi may have been his weakest bassist, that's my 2 cents.

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    +1.....I totally agree 1000% :cool:

15. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I remember Prince waaaaaay back during the "Soft and Wet" days, so I remember all of his bassists.

I'd have to say for what he was doing back then, Brown Mark was the guy.......however, Rhonda, I feel is the better player...very tight and funky!!!

16. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    Resurrecting an old thread because I'd like to know if anyone can tell me more about Sonny T. I can't find any information about the man, and I'd definitely like to know more. All I have is his work on Diamonds and Pearls, but the song "Live for Love" is enough to make me ga-ga.

Thanks, everyone!

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree.

18. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

They are all great musicians and bring something unique to Prince's sound. But my favorite is Rhonda Smith. I just love her style and her tone is amazing.

19. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Levi Seacer was a bit of a shredder on bass. He plays his ass off on the movie of Sign O' The Times.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Don't leave out Josh Dunham. I've never heard Brown Mark live and everything I've heard on record was pretty much simple playing but he seems to have been the most versatile of them all. Prince has such a wide range of music!

Oh, for those inquiring about BrownMark.................http://cdbaby.com/cd/cryptic