The Best Fuzz I have Owned To Date!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MascisMan, Aug 27, 2019.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I recently collaborated/commissioned with JohnK to build a custom fuzz pedal with specific characteristics. I wanted something in a 125B enclosure with top jacks and a blend feature. He recommended his Civil War-style circuit and off we went.

So as far as details on the circuit, I will let @johnk_10 answer those questions. I will do my best to describe my experience with the pedal. John can surely correct my verbiage if needed.

Up front, this pedal can do everything from primarily clean with the hairy fuzz low and behind the note (if that makes sense), to full on, wet, high-gain, feeding back, Siamese Dream-Stoner rock tones.

The Blend is a clean blend (obviously) and the other three controls are the traditional Tone/Sustain/Volume. The interaction between the Blend and Volume is what sets this pedal apart for me. In my opinions the feel of the volume/blend combo moves the fuzz forward to the front, right on top, or backward, behind the clean bass tone (if that makes sense). The fuzz tone itself is full and lush with no loss of low end.

I named it the Ironclad after the old Civil War steamships which John graciously acquiesced to. Anyway, hit him up if you are interested in something similar!

Ironclad Fuzz2 -700.jpg Ironclad Fuzz -700.jpg

2. Always cool to have a One of a kind or a pedal you had input on!

MascisMan and johnk_10 like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    JohnK is the shizz!

MascisMan and johnk_10 like this.
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    the way that the blend works on this one is that with the fuzz volume all the way down and the blend at 12 o'clock, the clean signal is at unity gain. turning the blend fully counterclockwise the clean is boosted by about 5db. IMO, this makes it more versatile as opposed to a clean blend that's at unity volume fully CCW, so you have more control of the level of the fuzz that you want to mix in with the clean.

5. That's brilliant and would be my preferred way.

MascisMan likes this.
  6. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks for the added info John!

This fuzz is so versatile. Not a one trick pony like so many that are out there. Cant wait to work with John again in the future.

7. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    That looks great! I still prefer individual knobs for dry and clean signals whenever I can, but I got no doubts this pedal kills. Rock.

MascisMan likes this.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Looks great, and sounds like a great design!

MascisMan likes this.
  9. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Hm, thats a dang good idea. I have a couple ideas brewing for implementing something along those lines on other pedals that I've built that have a blend.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021