1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Big Free Music Related Software Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thebassclef, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    This is a good one:

http://www.getpaint.net/

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

In my opinion and experience, there's no better freeware image editor than this one.

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Anybody know of free software to generate interactive animation and mix videos? It would be great to have someone mixing visuals for our live shows.

4. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

May 8, 2012
    UK
    Not free exactly as its free to use for 30 days after which you should stop using it or pay the very reasonable fee to purchase a license. This software is an awesome recording sequencing and mixing package with excellent forum support and regular improvements from a developer with a refreshing way of doing business in the cut throat corporate culture of today. Quite a learning curve but well worth the effort.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Are we supposed to guess?

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  6. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

May 8, 2012
    UK
    Er... guess what?

7. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

May 8, 2012
    UK
    Er..... what a plonk i am! I meant to tell you it's Reaper.

8. JoeMongo

JoeMongo

Mar 18, 2013
    NY
    Can anyone recommend a Tab Editor for Mac OS X? I tried TuxGuitar but I can't get it to work and their forums aren't too helpful.

Thanks
    Joe

9. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I haven't been able to find a ton of info on this on the internet so I wanted to post it.

I recently purchased a cheap ($30 used) midi keyboard and connected it to my MacBook. Then I run a cable from the headphone output into a direct box.

I use the keyboard with different virtual instruments (keys, pad, synth, drum samples, strings, organ, etc...) to fill in the mix when I'm not playing bass. Right now I am just using Garageband and IK's Sampletank Free.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of free virtual instrument programs so I can get some different sounds?

Doing that has greatly added to our praise band at church. It was super cheap and it seems I'm only limited by the programs I buy/download.

Has anyone else done this? It's like a high-quality keyboard (depending on the program/patch you use with it) for super-cheap.

10. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I don't know about free software. But if you spend $30 more, you can get Mainstage and add all the sounds from Logic to the mix. You can also use it like I do for effects.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  12. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Anyone still looking for the ideal media player might take a look at Light Alloy.

13. David Vector

David Vector Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Reaper is definitely worth the meager $60 licensing fee (which is applicable to most users). It's been the only DAW I use for the last 4-5 years. Sure beats the days when you had to cough up $1,000 for Opcode Studio Vision to get into computer-based hard disk recording and there were no cheap alternatives.

In the plugin department, a couple of good freebies that come to mind are TAL Chorus LX (emulation of Roland Juno chorus that's useful on various things besides synths) and u-he TyrellN6, a software synth with a somewhat Jupiter 8-esque voice architecture.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  14. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    It's worth mentioning that REAPER is super configurable and you can make it look and operate much like your traditional DAW of choice, like Logic or ProTools. I didn't find there to be much of a learning curve, myself and it's been my DAW of choice for three years now.

As for plugs, Stillwell audio has a few good freebies and one of the best freeware compressors I've come across is the Blockfish from digitalfishphones. Blue Cat Audio has a few, including a decent Frequency Analyzer plug and their "Triple Q," which is a decent EQ with a cool-looking interface (I believe it has an M/S mode too!)

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  15. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    mp3DirectCut by Martin Pesch is an editor that lets you manipulate mp3 files natively and losslessly (cut/copy/paste/fade/normalize/volume change), i.e. without their getting compressed over again when saving: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

The same author offers an excellent audio file player called 1by1, which packs a great deal of functionality into a mere 150 Kb: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/1by1.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  16. JeromeH

JeromeH

Jul 15, 2014
    Audacity is a freeware program with a nice "tempo change" feature not sure if it has been mentioned yet as I'm new here! Can slow down a song w/out changing the pitch. And haven't had any spam problems from it!!

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

SlimS likes this.
  17. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    My favorite is still Sonar version 1.03, which was given to me back around 2000. Audacity would be my choice if I didn't have that. I've tried Audacity. It works and is better than nothing. Quite a bit, actually.

18. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I've been making free sample libraries for the free Plogue Sforzando sampler which supports the SFZ format. Several of the libraries are basses, which I'm guessing TBers don't really need, but the double bass could be useful to those who only have BGs handy. There's also an electric upright with very low detuned notes (E below standard bass guitar), a guitar library, two glitch libraries that a friend of mine made, and probably the most useful one of all which we just finished a few days ago: a cello. That one took four people several months, but it's worth it. The cello also includes a Kontakt version (which will run for 15 minutes in the free Kontakt Player's demo mode) with built-in effects.

karoryfer-samples_cello.

Find them all at Karoryfer Samples. The libraries are 30-300 MB in size and from 85 samples to somewhere over 500, so nothing really huge, but pretty detailed by freebie standards.

The Kontakt version was done by bigcat instruments who also has a ton of other Kontakt freebies and a few more done in Maize Sampler (which makes VSTis which will run for free in any VST host). My guitar and double bass have also been converted to Kontakt by bigcat, and we're talking about possibly doing the bass guitars next.

eukatheude likes this.
  19. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Here's a great free audio editor with some unique features: http://www.ocenaudio.com.br/
    Available for Windows, OS X and Linux, 32- or 64-bit.

20. Hugh_R

Hugh_R

Sep 9, 2008
    London, UK
    Nice thread! Great idea to pool resources like this!