Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Big Return

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bronco, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Yo folks, I'm an 'old time' Talkbasser:

So, i went on a Jazz Guitar thing for awhile, and did a dummy. :eyebrow: I sold my perfectly good Fender Fretless 4 Jazz bass and bought a nice Jazzbox Guitar for tooling around on.

Well...

Several years have gone by since then... (I had joined Talkbass in '03) and I've just realized I sold my soul. I'd been playing bass since I was 15. Auugh! I'm such a fool! What was I doing? Maybe we've all done something like that.

Anyhow, so I've been out of the loop for awhile, and its time to get another bass.

Here's what I want. Perhaps you guys can point out some options for me.

My first kid is on the way this year, so I'm kicked out of my 'man room' and being moved to the basement. I still have my 1978 Acoustic 136 100W Solid State amp (its an asskickin' amp!), and I want a bass that is

Fretless, with dot markers on the side at least (lined is ok too)
    More WOODY sounding than my ol' Fender Jazz bass. The more wood, the better!
    5 string
    Zero Feedback or 60 Cycle Hum for higher volume (when mom and the baby's away!)
    About $500, unless necessary
    Musical Style: Jazz, "Jam Band"

Questions:

The Michael Kelly acoustics seem interesting, but I wonder about high volume and potential feedback issues. This situation won't happen often, but it happens ALOT with my jazzbox... the nature of hollowbodies I suppose.

Dean 5's seem interesting, but how woody do they sound? For basses like the G&L Tributes and the Deans, do you need to roll tone all the way down to get a woody sound?

Are Active pickups 'thinner' sounding than single coil/soapbars?

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Welcome back Bronco!

I would stay away from the Kelly basses.....I had the honor {?} to work on a few and they really didn't do anything for me. Don't be impressed by the Quilt top {its very thin...think loose leaf!}. The EQ wasn't all that great sounding either.

As for the Dean...I really don't know.

I would consider looking into either a nice used USA jazz bass, or even Japan made.
    They worked for you in the past, and I'm sure they will work again.

Just my thoughts.

Rob

3. matrixbassman32

matrixbassman32

Jan 29, 2005
    Deans are nice, I had one and it wasput together pretty well considering.

4. Thanks for the Advice, Rob.

The fender jazz I had was good enough, I suppose if I upgraded the bridge and the pickups i could have nearly everything I need! Hmm... browsing now...

Anyone think the Brice basses would get me a woody enough sound?

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    By your description, it sounds like an old Ibanez Musician Fretless is right up your alley. Only thing is finding one.

They usually go for $300-$600 used. They have two humbuckers, so they're pretty quiet. It's neck through, and I believe the body is made of maple so it'll have more of a woody sound.