1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Cops are Knockin...What was I Thinkin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chavezding, Apr 19, 2010.

1. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    Reminds of me of when I was in the army. I worked night shift and the guy in the room next to mine would complain when I played from 5-8 to in the evening. Of course I didn't really care because he would blast music on his lunch when I was trying to sleep. And he also left town for a 4 day weekend and left his alarm on which beeped loudly for 3 days.

2. It's cheaper to just start playing the skin flute...:(

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    When I lived by myself before I got married, it was in a apartment complex and I was surrounded on all sides. The walls were paper thin. I never had the cops called on me but there was some banging on the walls to get me to turn it down.

I did get into to some volume wars with the idiots above me though. They moved in and were loud from the get go...really loud music all times of day and night, shouting/screaming and just being inconsiderate. So I used to put my Peavey 15 cabinet up on the table and point it up to the ceiling, and turn up the amp I had at the time and start jamming. The whole apartment shook like crazy. And they never turned it down! They got thrown out the next week because they paid the deposit but never paid the rent. I was so happy.

Nowadays I have a huge house in a nice neighborhood where everyone has young children (including me). I have no problems going to knock on someones door or even call the cops if its loud past 8 or 9 pm. Sorry, but, trying to get my 18 month old daughter back down to sleep after she is woken up by loud noises is as much fun as taking a broken string snap to the grundels.

4. I gutted a standard boost pedal (ehx-lpb1) and jimmy rigged it to a set of headphones. I get a shock to the skull every once and a great while, but it works.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I just had an argument about this with my condo association yesterday.
    Turns out, I think they were hearing the 12" downfiring sub from my HT setup, and not my actual bass.
    I'm not supposed to practice anytime other than 9-6 during the day, but of course I'm working then. So I can only practice open-air from 11-5 on weekends. No biggie, as I just plug my in-ears to the headphone out on my Nemesis combo and shut off the speaker.

6. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    We'll you got to have roof over you head.

It may as well belong to you.

It's easier than you think.

Plus you can make all the noise you want with that skin flute of yours!

7. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    sometimes I've caught myself sitting around with my ear against the upper horn....posting to zombie threads

8. Actually, the cops were knockin again!

This time, I was jamming to the bassline of Michael Jackson's "Get On The Floor" by Louise Johnson. ONE SONG! Less than ten minutes of play. Turned it off, 20 minutes later, door bell rings, two cops at the door apologizing for perhaps ringing the wrong address.

They said they got a complaint of loud noise and they were looking for a party going on. I told them no party here but I was playing my bass for a bit. It was 6PM. They didn't think it was a big deal.

One of the cops was more interested in the music I play and if I play in a band. I asked if he played too. He just likes watching bands play. I offered for them to come inside and perhaps entertain them. They politely said no thanks.

They left and I saw them go into the source of the call. That "Fat CrabAss 60 Year Old Virgin" next door was paid a visit. I bet she was told to stop wasting taxpayers money on stupid calls and wasting police resources.

The saga continues....

9. i bet if you could isolate it from the floor your neighbors would not be bothered by it

10. There's no way. My cabinet is the Aguilar GS412 coffin.

11. lareamond

lareamond

Nov 16, 2010
    The neighbors across the street bust my balls too. I have a Crate BX-15. It's not loud by any means. I practice in a basement with all of the knobs set to 6. 4 if I'm jamming with a guitarist. They still call the police on me no matter what time of the day it is. Especially regarding my brother. We jam a lot together (he has a Crate GX-15), and they're always complaining about the "high pitched whining coming from the house across the street." But the husband can work on his muscle cars all day, revving them constantly without any complaints. Since I'm deaf, I always tell the cops, "I'm deaf. Gotta have it up loud. Tell the old farts to get stuffed." All's quiet for a few weeks, then they come a-knockin' again. It's not even heavy music, we play mostly blues and a little bit of jazz...

12. http://www.jamhub.com/?gclid=CODVuua_gacCFSdtgwodqA4Cfg

But yeah, I know what you mean, regarding neighbors who complain for anything.

I had a neighbor a few years ago who complained about noise coming from the kids playing outside.

This type of bourgeois should move to some snotty bourgeois
    city we'd build just for them, like Scottsdale.

13. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    :spit:A.C.A.B.:spit:

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Picking places to live and play loud music is a black art at times. But a necessary one.

15. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Dude, my 212 is in a sound isolated (1/2" soundboard covered in 5/8" sheetrock) second floor room in a cinderblock barn, not attached to any other dwelling.

And I *still* only jam on my 210 when I'm up there....

I think you need a little practice cab... :bag:

16. Think you're right, 210 or 112.