1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Cops are Knockin...What was I Thinkin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chavezding, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Jamming at 9 O'clock at night, living in a townhome with my MarkBass F1 volume just before the 9 O'clock position. Thumping away when I heard banging on my door. I knew I was toast. Luckily they were nice about it. A quick apology and they were gone.

Can anyone recommend a good system that uses a headphone? Something that won't distort when playing slap.

Anyone ever use a Korg Pandora?

Also, is there really a good time to play loud (not head splitting loud) and still be within reason?

Thanks guys!

2. When I need to use headphones, I just use my Korg AX1B pedal. You could probably find something much cheaper that is just a headphone amp.

3. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I use my GB Shuttle 6.0. It has a headphone out. The wife loves it!

4. Raven Labs Pha1, they are the Best hands down !! no longer made (originally made by Steven Rabe of SWR) but they do come up for sale now and again, going price is 150 -200. They are truly transparent and full of features.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=bass+trainer
    Not the cheapest way to go but I love mine and use it all the time. Lot's of useable features and very portable.
    You could probably get free programs online to get your computer to do the same thing. But I share a common computer with my whole family and it's in our living room. I like to be able to sneak off into another room to practice.

6. spike42

spike42 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
  7. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i've got one of those korg toneworks multi effects pedals that has a headphone out. that would work well if i wasn't able to play loudly in my basement. it has some amp modeling as well.

also, i have an acoustic bass that i use a lot when i want to practice without making a lot of noise. i use it all the time while watching tv and it doesn't bother my wife.

8. njjazzman2002

njjazzman2002 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2007
    New Jersey
  9. KimblesNimble

KimblesNimble

Jan 10, 2008
    I've used a Korg Pandora for two years now. Great for practicing.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Headphone out on my RH450, or through computer with Presonus Firebox.

11. just turn the volume down . . . i practice w/ my wife sleeping in the next room

12. Whatever you decide to do with a headphone amp, make sure you patch things up with your neighbors also. 9pm is not an unreasonable time to be playing. Maybe they have small children that need to get to bed earlier or something like that. I'd talk with them and let them know you need your practice time, but you'd like to come to an agreement as to when is too late practice without headphones. Make sure you do so in VERY apologetic and understanding attitude toward their needs too. You might also want to ask (politely!) that they knock on your door instead of calling the police next time. I think you'll find they'll be much more tolerant next time if they know you care about their needs.

13. I use a Pandora, they are fine. A bit of distortion and you need good cans (I use a Sony MDR-V6). I have my PC into the input to play MP3, Guitar Pro and Rhapsody (which is my way to listen to music legally without paying hundreds of dollars).

I ordered a Behringer UB802, which is a small 8 channel mixer, and I intend to use it pretty much the same way, but with my SansAmp BDDI into the XLR input, PC into one channel, pedals into the DI, which is going to allow me to really find my best effect settings.

Will let you know how this works!

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

What your neighbors are hearing is the lower frequencies, because they have higher energy and propagate better. Before resorting to headphones, you could try cutting bass in addition to cutting volume. Your tone might sound tinny, but that doesn't matter for home rehearsal.

I live in a townhouse and almost always quit rehearsing at 9pm on weeknights. If I have to go past 9pm then I make sure to keep volume (and bass frequencies) extra quiet.

15. Can they still complain with legit if it was high noon and jamming?

16. Some townhomes and apartments have paper thin walls.

You don't necessarily hear everything but things like alarm clocks, babies, female orgasm.

I would understand how bass guitar even at a low volume may bother the neighbors, especially if the neighbors hear you doodle or practice scales for hours, they would eventually get upset.

What I think is admirable is the fact that nowadays people don't knock and talk to you directly and ask you kindly to lower the volume.

17. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I have both the Korg Pandora and the Cafe Walter. The Cafe Walter is better in terms of a pure headphone amp IMO, very true replication of your bass tone.

18. vox bass amplug

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If it's disturbing them, yes. Disturbing the peace is not time-specific.

Solve the problem by using a headphone setup.

20. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I gig with my MarkBass SA450's volume @ 9:00, through a 104HF Cabinet. I'd be upset, too, if I was your neighbor. In a townhome??? :eyebrow: Oh boy... Just turn it down.