1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Cops are Knockin...What was I Thinkin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chavezding, Apr 19, 2010.

1. I've had the cops show up at a lot of parties, shows, rehearsals etc. It really helps to;
    be the guy on the lease.
    know when the legal cutoff time for loud stuff is. Cops are usually more annoyed by the people that call in noise complaints than they are by the noise itself. If you are within your rights to rock, than rock. OTOH it also helps to build bridges with your neighbors. What kind of jerk calls the cops instead of ringing your doorbell?

for my silent jams I use a summit 2BA221 into my BLA modded 828MKII, then usually a pair of Grados or AKG K240's

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have a Jamhub that allows you to plug in a band with electric drums and play away. the product is worth it . I also have bass and guitar headphone amps.We all need more friends than enemies.:cool:

3. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Exactly.. and you certainly dont want to alienate your neighbors.. I can use my GT-10B or my Shuttle 6.0.. but my rig is ion the basement.. and I can usually practice without disturbing anyone... and when Mamabear complains.. (rarely... at least about my playing..... LOL) I can usually find that sweet spot... Since she sings in my band when I am practicing it usually isn't an issue..

Also consider this: Korg Pandora PX38 from a fellow TBer..

I had a Tascam BT-1.. I really didnt like it because I had issues with the MP# files it would accept.. maybe the later ones are different..

4. scottyg11

scottyg11

Mar 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I have a Tascam bass trainer that gets used most of the time I play at home. I recently bought a Peavey MAX158 amp 15 watts 8 inch speaker. That I use to play out of when sitting on the couch watching tv. I made a little kick back stand for it, works great, decent sound & not very loud. Only problem is I now surf for commercials with cool lines to learn.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure they can if it's loud enough. I don't know what my local noise regs are... the only time I've ever received a complaint was when I was auditioning a new bass cab WAAAAY too loudly, and even then a neighbor politely asked me to turn down himself rather than having the cops do it for him.

6. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    It wasn't the bass trainer. It was the MP3 files. They were encoded at the wrong bitrate. I've only ever seen one file mine wouldn't play.

7. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    My neigbors are even louder than me...now im talkin about fights,parties,and more fights so when they complain the me I just laugh and say oh well.

8. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    Just plug your headphones into the back of the amp and put the volume low. Or, practice very very quietly. THere is no reason to use a gigging bass amp for practice. You could be playing through a little old peavey guitar combo and it should be plenty loud for practice. I never use my gigging amp in the house. It was made to fill a venue with sound. I use a little tiny amp and quietly.

9. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    AND... turn the bass tone completely off; yes it sounds like a 4" speaker, but I'd doubt your neighbors will complain.

Mike

10. I am currently not in a band. Not since 1987. Always wanted to join a band but my life has been too busy for that commitment.

My only bass enjoyment is improving my bass skills and enjoying my rig the way it would sound in a live situation.

Headphones and/or low volumes is the answer but for me there is nothing like feeling that thump in your chest when playing bass.

I've been blessed to be able to finally afford a super rig like the F1 and the GS412.

The night the cops came, I was "playing like I meant it". Got lost in the bliss. Lost track of time. Got busted.

I miss playing with the kats. I hope this year I can hook up with a band.

11. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    +1 for the bass Tascam MP3 unit. Super easy to use, very good battery life, and something I haven't seen mentioned is that this thing will really drive your headphones. Seems like other things I used or tried will distort at fairly low levels but this thing will deafen you if you want. Of course being able to load up songs and play along with them ain't bad either.

I also have a Korg Pandora that I used for a while but never really got along with that unit. That bass trainer is just dead simple to use.

Toss out the manual and rock out :bassist:

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yup - I bought a PX4B for $85 used, over 2 years ago - and it's been one of the best musical investments I've ever made... The Pandora combined with a pair of Gado SR60 headphones work really well - I can't recommend this combination enough...

- georgestrings

13. I picked up an Ovation Celebrity acoustic bass guitar second hand (cheap too). I love it. It's probably one of the best gear investments I've ever made.

My neighbors never complain, I can take it with me when I travel, no amp or headphones to lug--and I find that I'll just pick it up and noodle around when I'm watching TV or surfing the net... something that I wouldn't do if I had to plug in. It's great for camping/campfire jams too!

I have the Tascam CDBT II... and it pretty must resides in my closet... I think I might have used it 4 or 5 times.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I'd rather play thru my Pandora and headphones than do that...

- georgestrings

16. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    i use my podxt

17. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Yep. The Cafe Walter is the one.

18. There's no time frame on being an inconsiderate d*ck.

19. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    +100 I love that thing...Use it everyday.

I use Sony 7506 with them and have plently of headroom (slapping is fine though it).

20. You sound like a Fortune Cookie Gone Wrong...:rollno: