1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Cops are Knockin...What was I Thinkin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chavezding, Apr 19, 2010.

1. How loud does it get before distortion?

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A noise permit? Those are usually for specific events for a limited period of time.....not for an inconsiderate musician to bug his neighbors all day and night.

3. NO, I never had the cops visiting... but then I never "felt the bass on my chest" when playing in an apartment...

It sounds like you were really loud, and bass travels well through walls...

I love bass, and I'd have asked you to turn down, I think :D

4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Uncomfortably loud

5. grue

grue

Apr 13, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm on my second Pandora (the newest one). I'm pretty sure all the bass presets were designed by a guitarist, since they consistently suck. :p

However, if you spend a little time making your own presets, you can get some very usable (and noise-free) tones out of it. I would be happy to share my settings if anyone is interested.

Anyway, the metronome is nice, and you can get a pretty natural-sounding bass tone. The Pandora works well for non-bass guitar, too, for the rare occasion when I want to dust that thing off. I think it's a good option.

In the past, I've done the headphones-into-the-amplifier thing, which usually sucks, even with a good amp. A decent DI into a mixer is a pretty good option, though, especially if you have a drum machine or metronome with a line out. Still, I find the raw DI tone can get a little harsh after a while.

Good phones are a must for any headphone practice setup, IMO. You need to hear the details of your playing, and you are probably going to be spending a lot of hours with them on your head.

Good luck!

6. I have the AKG 270M headphones. Maybe it's just my sample but this one sucks. It can't go loud without farting out.

What headphones are you using?

7. grue

grue

Apr 13, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've got some Sennheiser HD280s I'm pretty happy with. Nice, flat response. I haven't had any farting out, though, even with cheap headphones. Right now I'm running the pandora into a mixer and driving the phones with that, but I ran the phones straight out of the box for a long time without any problems.

I did notice that certain basses (G&L) are so hot that they can overdrive the input on the Pandora even in the "active" mode. Maybe that's happening?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Raven Labs PHA-1. The best by far. You can only get them used, but they pop up here every now and then.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I think 9pm is a little late to be making noise in town houses and apartments. Neighbors can be a pain in the ass and very unsympathetic to our practice needs. They want their peace and quiet and don't usually care if it's 2pm or 9 pm. if it's interrupting their tv time or daily rituals, then they'll usually complain.

I'll either plug the headphones into my GT10-B or into the little 6 channel mixer I have running into my computer.

10. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Most towns have noise ordenences. Meaning no loud music or noise after a certain time. In my town it's 10pm on the weekends (most folk will let it go to 11pm in the summer). Most decent folk create loud noise that late on a weekday. I think it's only decent to keep noise levels down especially if if getting late and you share walls with other people. People are quick to call the cops if you are going past 11pm.. I'm one of them.

11. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I use my amp's DI out to a small mixer, into which I have my headphones plugged.

12. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I also use it as DI in many of my live gigs. It goes DI out to the PA and speaker out to a cabinet that I use for a monitor. Only need a something bigger for louder/larger gigs, which are few and far between for me anymore. It was worth the money. I only paid $299 for mine on sale.

13. So, better than my Pandora, I now have a Behringer mixer, a Eurorack UB802.

The PC headphone out put goes into the CD input, and the bass into my pedal train, with my SansAmp BDDI into the XLR.

It works great... The only thing I miss is the drum machine from the Kangora, but I guess I can get a new one for my PC. As for the tuner, I use the one from my pedal board.

I will probably get the Line out from the PC into one of my stereo channels instead, so that I can remove the lows and basically cut out the bass from the original recordings I am playing over.

A mic will be next :)

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    IMO there's no such thing as a good time of day or night to make unnecessary noise when neighbors are nearby.

Don't wait to be told. Use headphones.

Furthermore, a lifetime of experience has taught me that asking alleged adults to 'turn it down' is futile because they CHOOSE to be inconsiderate.

If throwing 'em through a wall isn't an option, then call the cops.

Those who lack self-control deserve to be controlled.

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Here's a list of these devices:

http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/tactile_report.html

16. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    1) Phil Jones Briefcase - sounds great even low.

2) Buy Apartment/House with thick walls and no upstairs/downstairs neighbors. Our home in Brooklyn is separated from the building next store by a two-foot thick solid brick wall. Upgraded the windows. Every now and then I crank up my live rig like a madman. Don't do it too much since you can still hear the "thump" outside.

3. Move to country.

(Edit: choice 1 is cheapest)

17. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Just after we bought our house I was cranking up my rig at about 10pm when I heard someone pounding on my front door. I was all geared up to tell whoever it was off. Turned out it was one of my neighbors who was a drummer. Ended up forming a great band that lasted nearly 5 years. I'm not condoning disturbing the peace, but it can act as a type of mating call for other musicians.:)

18. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why is that admirable? What is wrong with people that they cant ask politely (or rudely) if you could take it down a notch BEFORE they call the police? Is confronting another human being really that scary and hard? You don't know what the cops are going to do, they could issue a citation for hundreds of dollars if they wanted, and all that could be avoided by a phone call or 10 steps from their door to yours.

On topic, I have a Tascam bass trainer, and its alright and I use it a lot now that I have it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Its NOT transparent at all, doesnt have all that much output, is a PITA to recharge unless you have a USB wall adapter to charge it with or buy their seperate adapter, and it cant be used while the USB cable is plugged in to a computer. Id get something else if I was going to do it again.

19. Thats a lovely story but if my neighbour was cranking up a musical instrument at 10pm and then attempted to 'tell me off' for banging on the door I think we'd have a serious falling out. You may not condone disturbing the peace but loud bass at 10pm IS disturbing the peace. I personally believe that disturbing your neighbours is unacceptable and I won't tollerate it myself either. Consideration for other people should'nt be that hard.

20. Have you ever heard of sarcasm?