1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Cops are Knockin...What was I Thinkin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chavezding, Apr 19, 2010.

1. I'm surprise it took this long for someone to complain. But the MarkBass F1 when set at 9 O'clock is when bass nirvana sets in. I can feel it in my chest.

Headphones will have to do. Don't wanna mess with them neighbors.

Any of you guys ever had the cops called on you for playing too loud? This was my first in the 20 years of playing.

2. TheSeeker

TheSeeker

Apr 14, 2010
    East Coast
  3. How much do they go for?

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I have one of these, not bad IMHO.

I also have a GB shuttle now as a loaner while my TV is in the shop. Its the tittays.

5. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    You have to turn down or get phones, but I understand where you are coming from. Feeling bass is at least as important as hearing it. You don't really think you are playing--esp rock--until you chest is thumping to the massive air volume being moved.

When I was a teenager, I turned up really loud, but my parents were understanding. We were far enough away from neighbors to avoid most complaints. But, low bass tones have a very long wavelength and really carry. You know what you hear first when approaching an outdoor stage....:smug:

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I use a Pandora and have tried it for this, just out of interest (I'm lucky, where I live I can make as much noise as I like whenever I like :D).

The Pandora works well, but you need decent phones with it, as has been said (AKG 240S here). Some of the more extreme patches on the Pandora can be noisy, but that's true of any setup where gain and HF get boosted unreasonably high. For the money, the Pandora's a really good little gadget.

7. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I just run my bass though an art tube pre right into my mixer, mains down headphone out on

8. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I also use the Vox Amplug. It's not the greatest, but it's not bad. It's also relatively cheap.

9. Absolutely the best.

10. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Never had the cops called, but did get a sound chewing out for testing my stage rig at full war volume in a university theater. That was a long time ago. Oh well, at least the Dean of Students knew who I was after that.

I like an inexpensive DI into a Mackie 1202 mixer into a pair of Sony 7506 headphones. Gives me a nice way to mix in the recorder or CD player.

11. I got the cops at my place last week , i will keep playing as is my neighbor is just bored and smokes 2 packs a day trying to kill herself.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    [Shameless self-promotion]

I've got something in my sig that would work great for you :p

13. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    This has come up before a few times. I searched TB and got all of the advice here and then some and went with a Phil Jones Bass Buddy. Never looked back. The only other contender in my opinion is a Cafe Walter. Research them both to decide for yourself.

Like others have said, most amps have a headphone jack. The Phil Jones amp will allow you to input a music source and adjust volumes for that and your bass separately. It's also portable if you need it to be.

Another useful tool is a Tascam Bass Trainer. CD or MP3 versions are available.

Then get the best closed headphones you can afford. I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 212Pro's and they are just OK. I'll spring for Sony MD7509HD's or something even better next.

Now I can practice in the same room as others watching TV. It's a beautiful thing.

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=2

http://www.tascam.com/catalogue;40,21.html

http://www.headphone.com

Google everything for prices. I hope this helps.

14. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I like the Tascam MP-BT1. It sounds pretty flat to my ears.

15. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Phil Jones Bass Buddy is the one for me.

16. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Can't justify $300-$400 for a headphone amp with compression and EQ. All that is built into the bass trainer and more--in case you want effects...

17. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    When I still had gear I used a POD. Occassionally I'd turn up my real rig in the middle of the day so people could wonder why the pictures fell off the walls :)

18. Bass4Gsus

Bass4Gsus

Feb 13, 2010
    Deer Park NY
    Tascam GT-R1. Bass and Guitar input, MP and WAVE recording and playback, Built-in Guitar/Bass multi-effects, Preset rhythm patterns, Tuner, Variable speed playback without Changing the Pith, and Change Pitch without changing speed. It's also battery operated and small and portable, a great practice tool.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...-Portable-Guitar-and-Bass-Recorder?sku=247895

I also have headphone out on the Boss GT10-B multi effects board.

Or I plug into the mixer direct or through GT10B (or GT-R1) into the mixer and use the headphone out.

With the mixer you also have multiple inputs like CD, Tape, sequencers, etc, and all sound good, and balanced for what you want without worrying about if the amp can handle the sound.

I rarely use an amp at home other than for testing. I wouldn't mind using an amp, but in the grand scheme of things it's so much easier just to use headphones.

Search on Guitar Trainer, Bass Trainer, Recorder (some of the models are like the GT-R1)

19. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    Here's something I did a few years ago in a similar situation.

I used a Korg PX4B to my headphones and also fed the output
    through a small power amp to a TACTILE TRANSDUCER that was mounted under the seat of my practice stool.

The tactile transducer (also called bass shakers) I was able to get at that time was a kit that included a little power amp and was the little brother to this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-028

Playing through this setup with decent quality headphones was equivalent to standing in front of an SVT 810. I kid you not, as it literally shakes your booty. Standing next to this set up at the equivalent of arena volume, all that can be heard is a quiet purring sound. Also the vibrations lose their energy before it gets transmitted to the floor

I currently have the same setup in my home recording studio. I mounted two of the thirty watt Aura tactile transducers and their amps under an upholstered stool I got from Goodwill. I feed it from an aux out on the board. I like it better than using an amp as a monitor, even though the volume is not a problem where I live.

20. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    Been there done that (lots of times). The cops come in chests all puffed up, threatening to confiscate, arrests etc. The last time the cop finally says "I guess I'll have to tell the lady they're not breaking any laws so I can't do anything". We finally made friends and made an agreement to rehearse when she's not home. My advise:

1. Get along with your neighbors (we all need more friends than enemies).

2. If your rehearsing alone there is really no need to make a lot of noise (headphones, practice amp, play acoustically etc).

3. Find out what the laws are (police rarely know them).

4. Screw em. Its fun to make a lot of noise and some people need something to complain about (you kill two birds with 1 stone).

5. Get a noise permit (makes the cops go away quietly and you can make as much noise as you want).

There is probably more solutions but I can't think with all this racket I'm making.

JJ

YMMV