The End Draws Near.....Should I Pull the Plug?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scorpionldr, May 12, 2005.

1. Well boys and girls, I'm questioning what to do. I've been in a "group" since November of 2003, and we've been concerned for the last six months plus about making the lineup complete. We've had drums bass and a voice, but we've been waiting to get out into a scene because we've been busy finding a guitarist (recently we've been looking for a drummer instead, since the guy on skins can also play guitar). Over the course of 6 months, I've now prettymuch tried a small handful of guys that can play guitar, all sucked (real badly), and I'm frankly ready to end the drama and kill the band. I've been talking about the possibility of just bringing out the lineup we have now, starting to gig, and hoping to find a guitarist along the way, but 75% people are like "your F***ING LAME!!" and the last quarter are like "if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. your views?
  2. I think you'd do better with any guitarist than with none, especially if you plan on adding a guitar eventually at some point. Even if the guitarist isn't great, surely you (or your drummer) can teach him to play SOMETHING that goes with your songs. If it works out, great, if not, maybe someone will come up to you after a show and be like "hey, I noticed your guitar player sucks... I play guitar too..."
  3. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Try adding another bassist to do the guitar's job? Might be worth a crack...
  4. well, i am kinda playing lead, maybe i should add another bassist to play the real bass parts?
  5. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I would definitely give it a try. I play in a band with three bassists on a regular basis (though all of us occasionally switch to other instruments). Guitarists may be a dime a dozen but in my experience it's easier to find a bassist who's easy to get along with and has a good understanding of music...
  6. yea, i tried out the two bass thing and it was interesting, almost like playing with two baritone guitars. plus the stuff i'm doing isn't that hard, i don't know why i give people music and they come in without a clue and can't play it. like Not good enough for you is basically open e to 3 fret to 5 fret A string, down to 5 fret e string to 2 fret D string. the rest you can practically figure out yourself
  7. kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    Get a guitar player and start gigging. Once you have firm commitments for gigs, the guitarists will come out of the woodwork.

People are a lot more interested in a working band than a project in someone's basement
  8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Like Kansas said, the best way to get a musician, is to first get a gig. It sounds backwards, but it's SO true.
  10. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    you thought about another instrument? keys/synth mabye?
  11. Checked out your MySpace. Can't figure out why you don't have guitar players knocking down the doors to audition for the band.
  12. I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or an actual question (seriously tho, I can't tell, no offense) but I'll answer it kindly. I'm apparently picky because I can give guitarists a demo and when they walk in and can't play a single song after a week of having it, it truly pisses me off (but i don't put them out of their misery just yet). our latest auditioner happened to own a half stack, a rack, effects, eq, and a kirk hammett signature guitar with amazing pickups...and much to my surprize, he had absolutely no idea how to write a song in the world. welcome to my world of talent. with time we'll dig up more specimens