The Fender Super Bassman 300 thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim1, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have a non-pro and would love the chance to compare them. :)

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I owned and regularly gigged an SVTII nonpro for several years, so am very familiar with its sound. It was a magic amp and I still wish I had never sold it. Since then I have owned a Mesa 400+, Orange AD200, Fender Bassman 100T and SVT VR. I will stick my neck out here and no doubt get shot down, but to my ears the SB300 comes closest to that SVT2 nonpro than any of the others - plus it is quite a bit lighter. It seems to get that low mids growl that I remember quite easily and naturally. It really does punch, I am not sure whether or not it goes quite as loud in terms of sheer volume (and doubt that I will ever have a chance now to find out) but it certainly has the tone in it.

Arthur U. Poon and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  3. i wounder what the plate voltage is on these?
    Tim , just for fun you should try your 610 and 215 chained up to your sb , and feel the power!

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    chrisan, I have tried it - can't imagine a gig in the foreseeable future where I would be allowed to use them together, huge weight and punch :D

5. craigb43

craigb43 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Oregon
    im in , want to hear more about these amps , considering one for sure with a Berg NV412

6. i think i heard the rolling stones were going to be using one, [or two] of these on there tour, any one heard of any other big names , besides the ones on the fender site, using these?

7. where the blackface bassman heads of the 60s mainly used by guitar players or bass players?

8. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    hmmmm,,

i know what this thread needs :hyper:

DSC00751.jpg
    DSC00744.jpg

blastbass likes this.
  9. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Nov 28, 2011
    Toronto
    Nice setup Dog. Are you using the Shuttle as a backup? I noticed you've using both the pre in and power out on the SB, how does that work?

10. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    ya, i'll use the 9.0 as a backup

the rack case also carries my wireless & an Fdeck HPF which is plugged into the SB300 via the effect send/return ( it's actually the pre out/ power in )

11. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Nov 28, 2011
    Toronto
    Thanks for the explanation. You'll have to post on how the HPF plays with the SB, I've looked into them myself, I might just be tempted to pick one up for my 100t that's on the way.

12. going to record tomorrow, and plan on d.i the amp and run with speaker output in mute position , using head phones from the desk to hear with , to try and avoid any drums leaking into a mic'ed up bass cab, ...........might just have a cab plugged in for peace of mind

13. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    cool, let us know how it records while muted ( way cool feature btw ) :D

14. well didnt go great at recording today, pluged in a 8 ohm cab, set the switch to 8 ohm, after checking with a meter to confirm it was a 8 ohm cab, set speaker switch to mute and warmed up and turned on. all bias lights flashing together in green, thats normal when in mute mode i think, but the warm led was solid red, amp sounded ok, powered off and back on , no change. did a bias reset, held both adjusts in for afew secs, all ok.. acouple hours later checked again and warm led red again. got home and pluged in regular cab with mute off and got a orange led on 3b. had the amp 7months now,guess i will be seeing if i can find a single gt6550r 4white, not sure if running in mute was related to this , shouldnt have been ?

15. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Sure sounds like a tube, Chris. Not uncommon these days as manufacturers cannot predict tube reliability/quality control. You should be able to get a matched tube from Direct Imports, especially since Fender apparently own Groove Tubes.Not sure what would happen if you made do with a different brand with the auto biasing, since the manual says to match the grade as well. If you've got the readies you might want to consider doing a mass swap for wome winged Cs.........:D

16. I just changed the preamp tube in position V2 to a Mesa ECC83. Hard to tell the difference to be honest on the overdrive channel! Would changing for a more expensive tube make a difference?

I had my first gig last night with the beast in a medium sized room. The tone was fabulous! No PA support, I was cutting through really well in the mix!

murphy likes this.
  17. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    cool,, what cab did you use ?

18. I used the 410 Fender Neo pro. Sounds amazing!

murphy likes this.
  19. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    The 410 neo seems to be getting as much love as the 610. Wish I had a chance to hear one:(

20. I wish I could try a 610 to be honest too!!!! It would be my first choice !!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021