The Fender Super Bassman 300 thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim1, Nov 25, 2012.

1. how accurate is the output tube status system? thought i would see if the system could confirm the worn tube it was showing yesterday , orange led on 3b,by swapping 3b and 3a around , did this as per the manual, and now no fault shows, played for half and hour at different volumes and so far so good.

2. oh yeah, as a matter of interest, on the other side of the tubes from the groove tube label it said sovtek 6550we

3. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    don't know exactly how accurate the system is, as the feature doesn't have a long track record, being it's so new & all

but how cool is that, it shows that a tube may be developing an issue, you took the appropriate measure to correct the issue, & the system shows that it worked :hyper:

4. Two days without talking about the best (in my humble opinion and personal taste ) all tube head released in 2012??

When you turn up the volume just a bit on the overdrive channel, the amp wakes up with that lovey grindy overdriven tone! The amp almost speaks by saying: 'give me more, I can handle it and will shine even more!'

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Agree with you on that, Turlu. It seems to exert incredible control over the low end of the speaker, far more so I think than other tube amps I have owned. I have owned most of the better known tube heads over the past thirty years and I really think this might be "The One".

6. Going to record again today, this time going to try plugging in my cab ,but having the master volume on 1 and turn up the the channel volume , and i think that will still drive the xlr out signal .hopefully no more flashing leds this time, will post resullts

7. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    took these photos tonight at rehearsal

DSC00752.jpg
    DSC00757.jpg
    DSC00755.jpg

also, had a chance to A/B this setup with the new Fender 8/10 neo cab earlier in the day,, i made the right choice. the Super Bassman / BigE combo is unreal, i've never heard anything like it

Bassndrums73 and sludgetail like this.
  8. ok so ran the master volume on 1 with cab plugged in and xlr output worked fine , so after a hour with no led trouble codes thought id reduce wear on the power tubes , [ as they are $250nz a pair}flicked switch to silent mode and no problems ,yay. The power tubes still seem to light up in silent mode, i guess there in standby.

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    That's good news, Chris. What did your engineer think of the recording quality through the Fender's inbuilt DI?

10. ZSavage

ZSavage GrooveBopDeluxe

Mesa Titan V-12 to FSB
    V12 runs the 2X15 and slave out to FSB
    FSB powers the 4X10 & 15/6

11. ZSavage

ZSavage GrooveBopDeluxe

!!

12. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    In case you missed Tombowlus' gig report on the Super Bassman with the 610 neo cab in the 100T thread, here it is:

13. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Is that a Squier with Nordstrand pickups? Did you do a thread on the mods?

Sharp looking bass ...

Cheers,
    Liam

14. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    good eye liam

it is the first SDAJBV with the Nordy mod as i heavily modified the bass & routed in the Big Singles & shared the process in the SDAJBV mega thread, where it became a popular mod in the Squires

have had many fivers go thru my hands since i modded the Squire including a Roscoe, but all the others have been flipped,, this bass stays :bassist:

thanks for asking :)

DSCF0020-1.jpg

blastbass likes this.
  15. the good news, amps sounding good and engineer commented on one song played with a pick on the od channel that it sounded like the stranglers , the bad news , got issues with the biasing, it keeps going to "warm "by its self randomly , sometimes while playing , sometimes while in standby, can adjust it back to normal, but afew minutes later it goes to warm again. a bias reset doesnt help. all tubes are green and solid, anyway shops in touch with the fender tech,.......... will let you know.

murphy likes this.
  16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Shouldn't be anything too major. Eugene is the tech at Direct Imports and he is pretty on to it. I would imagine they will just swap out the faulty part for a good one, unless it is a funny tube randomly exerting itself. They will be pretty keen to have it up and running quick, if my past experience with them is anything to go by.

17. thanks for the info, appreciate that Tim

18. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Cool!

Liam

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I posted this in the Bassman 100T thread, but I suppose it should go here, as well.

I just did another gig with the Super Bassman and 610 Neo this past weekend. Deciding to make it an all Fender rig, I brought my trusty '74 P-bass along. This rig has previously impressed me, both live and in comparison to some of my other gear, but I think after this weekend, I am a full-out convert.

Both opening bands played through my rig, and the other bass players both used the Vintage channel, with some mid-scoop going on. Big, round, full tone that sounded great in their one-guitar bands (they played a mix of classic rock, prog rock, and some alternative rock).

This was once again my AC/DC cover band, and for our set, I switched to the overdrive channel, and dialed in some more mids. This head (and the 100T) is (are) just so incredibly versatile. They do just about everything that you'd want a tube bass head to do, and do it all well, to boot! Very impressed... And that cab is just wonderful! It sounds so darned big, but is so easy to move!

Here are a couple of videos a friend of mine shot with his camera in video mode. Not the best audio quality, but it gives you somewhat of an idea of how it sounds in a rock mix:

Have a Drink On Me
    High Voltage
    Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be

And get this! The whole rig, plus basses and extraneous gear, fit in my Veloster Turbo, and still left room for a passenger in the front seat!

[​IMG]

outoftune likes this.
  20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    And your links still don't work in this thread either. :meh:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021