1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The final 3, which one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big mark, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Hi all
    I have my purchase list down to final 3 (I think)
    Fender active Jazz deluxe
    Sterling by MM Ray34ca
    Warwick rockbass fortress (new version)

I think I have read these three to death and have played other versions of the same types but as yet have not tracked down exact versions to try.

So I know it's all personal taste any the playing of each will make the choice but any input/experience on any of these bass's is very very welcome.

Thanks

2. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I tried the Fender USA Jazz deluxe (active and passive) and the only thing that made me go for the Precision version of the Deluxe was the white neck binding, I just did not like it, the Jazz played superbly and was very nicely built and finished as you would expect .

3. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback mate

4. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Have you tried a Precision Deluxe Mark, mine is a 2010 in 3colour sunburst and is a delight to play and own, the tone range is huge and when you flick that little switch into active everything goes into overdrive, the active EQ is so versatile and the mids seem endless to me, mostly I play in passive but I cannot resist a little flick now and again to make the audience jump a bit :hyper:

5. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Hi mate, I haven't tracked one down yet. I have played several MIM Jazz but finding these final three on a wall is proving tricky.
    I do love the active "punch" my current bass's are both Actives but I'm after a warmer gut punch rather than an Ibanez "upper cut"

6. IMHO Fender... I've had all 3 basses in my hands and Fender was best one in comp. price/quality ;)

7. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks SUV, how did the new Warwick feel, heard very good things about the new Rockbass versions

8. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Fender.

I'm a Warwick hater (no good reason, just because) so take that into account.

Can't go wrong with the other one either. Personally I don't like the tuning peg setup on that bass. But how important are looks... Plus, Sterlings seem a bit pricey for a brand's 'budget' line.

2 cents.

9. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
  10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    These are 3 very different basses. Are you sure you are stuck between all 3 of them.

11. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Graham, I love that bass but the wife would never sign off on the coulour

12. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Purfekt, I know the Ray is a hum pup only but please let me know what your thoughts are on the differences

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    What style do you play?

14. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    For this bass it will be blues to rock/rock metal
    Heavier stuff I will leave to my Ibby Iceman

15. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I would be inclined to go with the jazz or the ray34 based on my preference only. If I had to choose between the two I would go with the active jazz but that's me.

16. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Graham £1000 max £700 comfortable for the budget

17. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Purfekt; what sways you to the jazz

18. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Mostly the neck and somewhat the tone. I have always been a sucker for a Fender jazz neck and tone. That said, the Ray 34 is a fine bass and the reviews in general are very good. If I were you I would seriously try to sit down with one of each and work out it for yourself.

19. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    If it's rock/blues/metal you'll be playing, I can definitely recommend the Rockbass. :)

20. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Profania; why do you like the Warwick?