The Growliest Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    For those who have played plenty of Warwicks, which model would you say has the most distinctly pronounced growl factor? I have a MIA Jazz V with Barts in it and it definitely outgrowls my Sterling and I want another four string but I'm not sure if I should get a Warwick or another Jazz with Barts. So what do you guys think growls like a hellcat and costs less than 1500??? Preferably Warwick but I'll take all the info I can get. Thanks in advance guys.
  2. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I only have experience with 2 warwicks but the Corvette is really growly
  3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That's what I thought too, I've played two Corvette's, a ProLine 5 and a Std. 5 which was active and both sounded awesome, the Proline better but both very nice. I used to own a Streamer Std. 5 and it just had no balls so I want another Warwick, but one that growls like crazy. The quest of every bassist right, growl and sustain and the right tone... so hard to find all three.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Streamer Standard that I played was equally unimpressive. I really noticed what people say about it not being a "real" Warwick. My Corvette Standard smokes it in every aspect but weight. The Streamer was 8-9 lbs and the Vette is 10 1/2 lbs.
  5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    FNA jazz man..... NO CONTEST AT ALLLLLLL!
  6. I currently own 5 Warwicks including a '90 Dolphin Pro1, '90 Streamer SII and a '94 Thumb. I would suggest that you try out a Thumb neck-through, and if the balance (or lack thereof) and smaller body are acceptable to you, keep your eyes open for a used one with a wenge neck. If possible make sure that you try it before you spend your money. The necks can vary widely between instruments.

If the Thumb doesn't suit you, the FNA Jazzman suggested above is extremely close in terms of growl and much more comfortable to play.
  7. Yeah, i'm with Justin. The FNAs are really growly. Much more so than any jazz or stingray that i've ever played. As for the Streamer Standard, I used to have one, and I thought it sounded great. I just couldn't stand the neck. Granted, it wasn't as hot sounding as any of the active Warwicks, but it had a control cavity that was plenty big enough to put in a preamp.
  8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
  9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    and an excuse to show mine off-
  10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Definitley the growliest Warwick followed by the Thumb BO and NT's.
  11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I think the Thumbs have a good "Growl" tone and I like the low end definition on mine better than my corvette.
  12. bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Being an owner of Fortress One, it can SNARL and bite your ear pretty well too.
  13. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    find a used thumb neck through. The only Warwick I haven't played is the dolphin and I really felt the thumb was the "Growliest"
  14. The Thumb neck-thru would probably be the growliest, since it sports the bubinga body. My FNA Jazzman Limited has a curly bubinga top over walnut, and comes very close to a Thumb NT played at GC a year or so ago.
  15. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've got a streamer lx that's pretty growly, but the growliest warwick i've ever owned (i'm on my 6th warwick) was my thumb n/t 6 string...if you're going to go with a jazzman config, i would recommend the streamer jazzman...the corvettes just look too...ummmm....phallic for me...
  16. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I had a thumb four bolt on that I put barts into and the dang thing was a low end monster. Growl to end all Growl. I like a total fool sold it back in 98. One of the stupidest things I have ever done. :bawl: I still remember a playing that bass and cutting through the mix of two 100 watt marshall stacks. :p that thing was sweet. would love to fing one used...
  17. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Get a thumb bolt on, it's in your price range (brand new!) . my thumb growls like crazy:D
  18. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    What do you guys mean by growl? (Sorry if I sound stupid) :p