Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Horror

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by page, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Ok, today was the first day of school down here. School food is notoriously crappy as many of you know. Well today as I bit into my chicken sandwich , it tasted bitter and squishy and my friend who was sitting across from me started pointing wildly. I had blood trickling down my chin. Blood from the chicken..........................GAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I went and puked for a while. The damn school refused to do anything about it. They said that there was nothing they could do for me. Im pissed. Sorry, just had to rant.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Call the news :).

-Ray

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If they were serving uncooked meat, they could get in a lot of trouble.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Time to hit the grocery store for some stuff to pack your lunch. :D

-Mike

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    MMMMMM uncooked chicken...

Did it look anything like this?

[​IMG]

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, i probably ate fewer than five school lunches from middle school to high school.

less salmonella that way.

7. Everyday... I eat... school lunch...

$3.00 x 180 = $540.00. Bah! almost enough for a deluxe P bass.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Undercooked poultry can cause some very serious illnesses. Poultry must be cooked to at least 180 degrees Farenheit.

Here are some of the most common diseases that one may contract from consumption of undercooked or raw poultry.

Campylobacter jejuni: A serious diarrheal illness.

Salmonella:

Staphylococcus aureus:

Listeria moncytogenes:

If you develop a fever, severe stomach or intestinal pain or diarrhea, see a doctor at once because these poultry-bourne infections can be extremely disabling. Also report your infection to your county public health department. They will want to know when and where you contracted the illness. They will also keep track to determine if others were similarly infected. They may conduct an inspection of your school cafeteria to check on the way poultry is handled and prepared.

Even if the cafeteria personnel would not listen to your complaint, you could still report your expereicne to the school principal. This is a serious health matter and your school should not just let this situation blow over.

You did the right thing. NEVER, NEVER eat undercooked or raw poultry.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well look at the bright side. At least you weren't forced to wait for the sandwich in the drive-thru line behind someone in an SUV who doesn't drive up to check their order.

brad cook

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You gonna finish that sandwich?

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    +1

Oh, and eat more raw chicken untill you do get sick, that way you can blame it on the school.

12. awesome way to merge active threads... :D :D :D

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'll trade you a half-eaten oreo...

14. i'd trade you my skim milk (even though i could be drinking whole milk) for your tots

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'll give you my Jello for your skim milk.

-Ray

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Dood! You look totally like Gene Simmons! KISS pwnz!

Kidding. Glad you didn't get salmonella.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm really just wondering about this. If I am thinking the same type of "chicken" meat as what you ate, I would say that this is a weird occurence. Those "rubbery slabs" of chicken breast have been sent pre-cooked in every restaurant I've ever worked at. Schlotzsky's, McAllister's, Wendy's, and Cindy's Fish House.

Cooking raw chicken in bulk (or rather any meat that has to cooked to a certain point; poultry, pork, etc) is a art unto itself, not something I would trust with the average cafeteria worker if I were the kitchen manager. When I worked at Moe's I could cook raw chicken 50 lbs at a time and that was the one thing only a manager, shift leader, or a highly knowledgeable employee was allowed to do. 50 lbs of improperly cooked meat at that restaurant had the pontental to send hundreds of people to the hospital.

I imagine that they simply heat the meat and put it on bread.

Based on my personal experience in several kitchens, I would say the manufacturer's product is at fault here. But good luck trying to prove that.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, you know I've seen the same thing once before. This guy I used to work with long ago once brought a "precooked chicken patty" to work to make a sandwich for lunch. He heated it up in the microwave and then when he bit into it blood came out just like what was described here.

brad cook

19. The health inspector would not like that at all.

Seriously, the school could get in major trouble for that, and they should.

Read Boplicity's post.

20. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    This is just one of the reasons as to why I packed lunch through high school.