The importance of a teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 10emmanuel, Apr 20, 2022.

1. 10emmanuel

10emmanuel

Sep 2, 2021
    world
    Hello my bassist mates!!
    I am here to basically share my experience in bass learning.

All begins with another of my posts asking "what was the best course to buy", and some people recommended me to get a teacher. At that point I acknowledged that a teacher would be better idea, but it was just out of my budget ( living in the country that I do ).

The thing is that I managed to cut expenses in other areas and with a bit effort, found a teacher.
    And everything continues by me thanking in that same post to those who recommended me that. Here the message I last wrote : "I must thank all those who recommended getting a teacher instead of buying a course. I got one, I had 6 classes so far and I can say, I am a better bassist than ever. All the improvement that I obtained from him would have taken months or I dont know, years to acquire, for real. He must be a good teacher and I am putting much from myself too, taking it seriously, so that's why also is working, but I'd been struggling for so long with self teaching and not reaching improvement. So many Thanks!"

So, again, for those who are starting, and for those who are like me, a intermediate player, or even those who consider themself advance players, a teacher, a bassist that can satisfy your needs and goals and can mentor you, is better that any course out there.

Again, I new that, I just did not HOW MUCH BETTER IT WAS .
    So, for those who read this and say " well that was obvious ", sorry for having you here reading this, but for those who are kind dumb like me, that didn't think this was a obvious statement, go get a teacher right away!!

Salud!!

AGCurry, mambo4, WrapRough and 4 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    I am studying with a teacher who is a monster player and an even better teacher. I started with him in September of 2019 - 51 years after I played my first gig. I have picked up a tremendous amount of knowledge and skill from him and he helps me work around health issues of mine that effect my playing.

It has been worth every penny and then some. I told him once that he should charge more than he does. He is easily worth it. But, much like my wife, he chose to ignore my suggestion. :D

BTW, he is a member here. I didn’t know that when I started taking lessons from him.

10emmanuel likes this.
  4. You don't have to limit your lessons to the bass, either. When you have access to great musicians take the opportunity to pick their brains! For example, sitting down to talk solo theory with a top-notch sax player will give you ideas you'd never ever get from a bass player (Unless he'd already done the same.)

I knew a touring musician years ago who said whenever he had time off he'd find the best player on any instrument in the town and go take an hour lesson. Drums, sax, keys, guitar, viola, whatever. No matter how good you are there's always something to learn, and the great players absorb from a lot more than just others who play the same instrument.

Les Fret, 10emmanuel and 12BitSlab like this.
  5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    "Get a teacher" is generally the "go to" advice here on TB....and rightly so. :thumbsup:

Les Fret likes this.
  6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I’ve been saying for years that you find a way to do the things that are important to you. Congratulations!

Les Fret and 10emmanuel like this.
  7. The benefit to a LIVE teacher is that you get both direction and feedback. You can ask questions making learning a two-way street, rather than video, which is a one way street, but you don't get to ask questions about things that aren't clear. If something you want to learn becomes a bit involved, your live teacher can break things down, set a model and have you go back and forth repeating what the teacher is playing. Also, there are nuances that you often don't get on video that are crucial to playing well. A live teacher can ascertain your weakness and suggest a path of study so you can reinforce and become strong at something you can't get from a video. You said you wanted to learn to read music. Material selection is critical to developing reading skills.

You can always get supplemental information/instruction off of YouTube or other places, but IMO if you're going to learn to play well, you need a LIVE coach. JMO

Les Fret and 10emmanuel like this.
  8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    I don't disagree that a teacher is important all through your life/career, but I think a teacher is maybe even more important when you are just starting out. A live teacher can get you started on the right path with basic music terms, right and left hand positions and techniques, etc. Once you have those basics down, I think you can learn some stuff via videos and other sources on your own. Everyone can use some "touch up" lessons here and there as needs/issues arise.

9. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Good post OP! Yes a live teacher is much better than an online course. I am glad you found out. Happy shredding! :)

10emmanuel likes this.