1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The John East preamp club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by datsaxguy, May 16, 2013.

1. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    For Sale - John East P-Retro

3. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    Sure. I read that. I’m not super techy. It’s not a badge of honor but a legitimate declaration of ignorance. I don’t understand how the bass knob and the upper and lower bass freq “window” thing (combined with the wheels) work together. I’m honestly just asking for somebody to post a link to a video demonstration or a more detailed printed explanation if they have or know of one. Or if you can clearly explain it I’d love to hear that too. Thanks!

4. Storius-GVA

Storius-GVA

Jun 21, 2017
    Switzerland
    So here are a few tech EQ words that are important to understand the bass window feature.
    Shelf: can be high or low or whatever frequencies you want, it has a Frequency Value and then everything underneath or above is boosted of a decided amount (gain)
    Example bass shelf at 40Hz with +4dB: everything underneath 40Hz is boosted at the same value, then after 40Hz, it goes back to flat.
    This is the kind of EQ setting there's in most onboard Preamps and it's what makes the East so great to me, because all the preamps I've tested always had super low frequency for bass and it makes the sound very muddy.

Now there's another type of EQ setting it's called the Band EQ or Peak EQ:
    Basically there's a frequency chosen to be boosted or cutted, and a bandwidth (also called Q) that's going to affect how you're affecting the frequencies around the selected one.
    For example: 250hz band EQ at +4dB with a tight bandwidth: imagine a spike at 250Hz almost like a needle.
    If you enlarge the bandwidth, you go from a spike to a wave.

So to come back to the East, the bass window settings are opening at 20 up to 80 Hz for the lower part of the bass window and closing at 40 up to 200 for the higher setting.
    Lower setting controls when your bass window starts. High setting controls when it finishes.
    (Technically there's an impossible spot like open at 80 and close at 40... )

So it means you have a band EQ for your bass with appropriate settings. You can go LOW at:
    20 - 40 Hz (medium bandwidth) and then the knob you have on your bass for bass will control the gain of bass...
    Or you can go super large bandwidth at
    40 to 200 Hz, which comes into the lower mids area.
    Or you can put a meaty solid bass setting without having sub-frequencies at: 60 - 100 Hz or 80 - 100 Hz.

But if anyone played with these settings could they tell us what settings they have chosen?

I hope my explanation was clear enough for you to understand this great East feature.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Are there any indication on the white wheels what frequency is selected, or do we do it by ear? I have a Uni-Pre getting installed on my bass.

wes stephenson likes this.
  6. Storius-GVA

Storius-GVA

Jun 21, 2017
    Switzerland
    That I don't know but the factory settings can be found on the PDF (page 6):

-flat response
    -mid control ON
    -Bass window : 20-60Hz / boost and cut
    -treble shelf frequency 4kHz

There's no mention about the wheels settings but I suppose CW would go up in frequency.
    But as I don't have one yet, I don't know how they work exactly. Is there a limit to the wheel's angle?
    There's letters written above the white wheel but what do they correspond to?
    When seen in this angle on the picture:
    IMG_20181213_113345.

Attached Files:

bebi and 5StringPocket like this.
  7. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    That helped! Still not completely hip yet but I’ll be reading your tutorial several more times to get my head around it. Thank you for taking the time to explain that!

Storius-GVA likes this.
  8. Sumaru

Sumaru Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 16, 2013
    Jesus Murphy that's a nice bass.

9. baszslap

baszslap

Feb 19, 2006
    Bucharest
    here goes, this might be non-sense so talk some sense into me :)) All my basses are passive and also vintage so i don't really want to mess with them but i really want to try the filter based preamp (eq-01 i guess). Do you thing i can put it into a pedal and use it like this? any idea?

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
  11. desert_rain

desert_rain

Jul 14, 2015
    Eindhoven
    Hi J East fans. Uni pre doesn't work with 18v right?

12. Storius-GVA

Storius-GVA

Jun 21, 2017
    Switzerland
    It does work with 18V
    It's specified in the FAQ of the east UK website.

13. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    To be clear, my post with that link was in response to your query

baszslap likes this.
  14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I don't think the EQ-01 will work in a pedal form. Go to the AC Guitars website and look at the construction of that pre.

15. baszslap

baszslap

Feb 19, 2006
    Bucharest
    i saw it, thank you. i was interested in the filter preamps but at this price i think i wanna try it as well

J.Wolf likes this.
  16. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Oh right, the ACG style. my bad. I bet john would build one into a box for you. He's very cool about stuff like that.

baszslap likes this.