1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The John East preamp club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by datsaxguy, May 16, 2013.

1. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    I have sent 3 emails to East. Been waiting weeks without any kind of reply. Before I purchased I was answered repeatedly. Not sure what's going on but it's a bit disappointing.

2. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Hope he's OK.

Can any locals check on him?

3. bloke_zero

bloke_zero

Jan 16, 2018
    I got an email reply after a couple of weeks about a week ago - I think he might just be very busy?

claudel likes this.
  4. 4stringer711

4stringer711

Sep 24, 2016
    How does the internal bass window work on the Uni pre? Is there adjustment for the 'size' of the window with the upper and lower freq filter, then within the window you set the frequency that the bass control boosts or cuts?

5. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    You do both at the same time.
    You set the low side from 20 to 80 hz. You set the high side from 40 to 200.
    I use the high side to select the frequency I want to be centered at and then adjust the bottom to how much subsonic I want to allow in.
    Keep in mind, these are gentle slopes so both affect frequency bands that are adjacent.

The best way to go about this is to play with it. Boost your bass and adjust the high side and play, going back and forth with the dial. You'll know when your in your desired spot. It behaves exactly like the mid sweep. Once you have that dialed, adjust how much low bass you want. That's it. Super easy.

ctmullins likes this.
  6. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    Oh, dont forget your pre curve jumper. It gives a 4 db bass and treble boost and can help pickups sound much more even without eq.

For example. With bartolini I like it set to pre curve . Gives a more detailed sound.
    With Nords I like the jumper set to flat . It gets too bright with the Nords for my taste.

Set all your eq to flat and try the jumper in both positions. It can make all the difference.

4stringer711 likes this.
  7. 4stringer711

4stringer711

Sep 24, 2016
    Thanks for the tips. I didnt realize there was so much flexibility with the bass control. I only knew about the mids.

Thanks also for the jumper info. I expect to pair this with Bartolini Classic Bass Soapbars. That's all a great start.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  8. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    My Jazz, and Sire both have John East preamps. 20190513_154109. 20190513_154031.

Eugene.thomas87 likes this.
  9. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    I like the knobs on that sire

mustBmtd likes this.