1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The John East preamp club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by datsaxguy, May 16, 2013.

1. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks for posting. Another way to think of this is the upper frequency controls the shelf (boosting anything below that corner freq) and the lower frequency controls the highpass filter (rolling off the lows below that corner freq). The high pass filter takes out the sub lows and rumble which muddy up the sound and stress the speakers. Increasing the lower setting from 20 to 40 or even 60 for less deep bass would tighten up the bottom. Then increasing the shelf up from 40 to 80 or 100 adds more meat to that all-important first overtone, making the upper bass more solid. I'd be wary of moving that shelf too far into the low mids or you might be swapping rumble for boom. This is a very cool feature for an onboard preamp and might help me at one place I play that takes bass direct to FOH and runs the subs too hot.

Storius-GVA likes this.
  2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Anyone know what the output impedance is for the Uni-Pre?

3. bobbyq

bobbyq Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Hello,
    Does anyone know what wheel settings would be to set the corner frequencies to match the East Marcus preamp?
    Thanks,

4. Upstate SC Bass

Upstate SC Bass Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Greenville SC
    08283819-10DB-4F13-A9C3-4C1F84CBEBE7. Can anyone help me understand the set up used in JPbasses made by Jean-Pierre Ferriera? I just purchased this used JP Naia. Since Jean-Pierra stopped making basses and the website is no more there is not too much I can find out.
    I understand it has a John East preamp obviously somewhat older and has some sort of 4 way pickup blend selector switch. As well as pickups made for JPbasses by Armstrong. Any more details will be appreciated. Especially about how this selector blend switch works. Or detail on the jp/Armstrong pickups used at that time.
    I also understand that the bass eq is boost only as opposed to cut and boost. Thanks