1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the myth of modes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HandsFree, Jan 15, 2016.

1. stringtapper

stringtapper

Jun 24, 2009
    Denton, TX
    No. The complete opposite.

"Tonic" may refer to either the I chord itself or the root of the I chord (i.e. scale degree 1 of a major or minor key).

HaphAsSard and DeaconBlues09 like this.
  2. 382 and counting.........

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i always start with establishing the quality of a tune/passage first-major or minor.
    from there, I determine what kind of major or minor; I look for, lets say, a IV maj chord to go with the I min; this tells me we may not be in a natural minor but perhaps a dorian minor because of the natural 6th. perhaps that chord is simply just an accidental and maybe we are in natural minor.

I find reducing music to basic elements is the best way to figure out keys/modes etc.
    establishing the tonal centre is the key for the all the rest it seems.

Whousedtoplay and DeaconBlues09 like this.
  4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

Yes, and what's even more amazing...no major flare ups or people getting personal.

Well done everyone. ;)

DeaconBlues09 and Whousedtoplay like this.
  5. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    It's because I've deleted a lot of my postings, about twenty of them.:hyper: :thumbsup: :D
    I've tried to remove ALL of them but it was TOO LATE.

P.S. Sorry, MalcolmAmos, I've messed up your counting. :thumbsdown: :( :confused:

6. But why did you delete all those postings? :(
    I really enjoyed them....

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  7. No big deal. It'll be back up in a few hours......

DeaconBlues09 likes this.
  8. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    My short answer would be, "It's because my comments (too long, too deep, with many exceptions, etc...) irritate the MAJORITY of TB members."
    For some TB members, sometimes it's too complex,
    for others, my postings do not correspond with their manuals, tutorials, or "that's not what Scott Devine said", etc...
    Also, some highly educated TB members tend to take it VERY PERSONALLY my comments.
    I fully understand them. They have a clearly crystallized vision of Music and the bass guitar role in it.

In addition, there are quite a few TB members, and good/excellent bass players, who are REALLY angry with me JUST BECAUSE I happened to defend Hadrien, Stanley Clarke, Jeff Berlin, and other superb Musicians/Bass players.

Anyway, it's ALWAYS MY FAULT at TB;
    therefore,
    I prefer a method like the Firefox add-on, "self-destructing cookies".
    As soon the addressee received my message, it's time to remove it and restore our TB decorum.

9. Awww, I always really enjoyed your stuff. :thumbsdown:

Have a hug
    giphy.

10. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Thanks. It's so cool. And thanks for encouragement. :hyper:
    Now, I WILL respond :banghead: to one "strange" comment from a very good, educated PRO bass player in the thread,
    "How to feel groove/beats".
    It has really bugged :spit: me for two weeks, but with your support, I will :rage: SAY SOMETHING stupid and lame.:mad:

JUST KIDDING!!!:roflmao: :laugh: :smug:

I've noticed you changed your avatar.
    Why?

DeaconBlues09 likes this.
  11. I've noticed you changed your avatar.
    Why?[/QUOTE]

Well, I had changed it a few weeks back to a somewhat abstract-ified portrait my wife sketched of me whiles I was picking out some melancholy tunes on the guitar.

However, it was very haunting and started to scare me a little, so I decided to change it back but couldn't find my original JPG to upload... .

I kinda like this one though...